add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3900x bottleneck Vega 64?

Jrbarnes729
  • 10 months ago

Will there be must of a bottleneck? or should i go with a 3700x

Planning on upgrading my GPU sometime next year.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

If you already have the 3900X,why don't you stick with it,since you plan on upgrading the GPU anyways ? If not,I will get the 3700X and use the extra funds towards the new GPU,that is if funds are tight.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends on resolution and games in question. At 1080p and 1440p you should be mostly fine.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I will be getting the Ryzen chip sometime next week. I am playing at 1080p atm, upgrading to a 1440p monitor next year.

My 4790k is starting to show its age and needs replaced unfortunately :(

The new chip will be used for gaming and workloads

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

As a frame of reference, The Bottlenecker calculator shows a 6.7% bottleneck difference between a 2700X and a Vega 64 at Stock, but their calculations also typically assume stock clocks, and 1080p gaming. I find from my own experience, at higher resolutions, you'd want the GPU to be notably higher than the CPU, since typically the CPU isn't performing as much work as the GPU in that regard.

A Ryzen 3900X, should be considerably faster just on the cores.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

On my current 4790k system, my games run very smooth with good fps most of the time at 1080p. That is with a 8.4% bottleneck between the 4790k and Vega 64. Hope to see an improvement in 1% lows with the new Ryzen chips though.

The 4790k struggles at times with some of the work loads i do. I would be happy with similar gaming performance and a massive increase in workload performance.

Thanks for the advice, I will take that on board when upgrading to a better GPU and monitor in the future

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Hopefully AMD release higher end Navi cards by the time i upgrade my Vega 64.

The 5700 XT is an awesome card though.

Thanks all for the advice.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the problem lies in the developers (more specifically the graphics engine developers) not designing with SLI/Crossfire in mind than any issue with the number of users. And it probably works out that designing around SLI/Crossfire means losing too much (even 1%) in the common "non SLI/Crossfire" case that they were never going to consider it in the first place.

Considering that modern GPUs tend to render in small tiles it is really strange that SLI/Crossfire didn't take off [again]. But I guess the devil is always in the details, and too much information had to keep crossing the PCIe bus.

https://www.realworldtech.com/tile-based-rasterization-nvidia-gpus/

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube