add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

End of life for Vega cards

Case5549
  • 8 months ago

Because amd considers the Vega 56 and 64 end of life will they release more Navi cards this fall or early next year? It would make sense in one way yet another it makes no difference.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD already released the Vega replacements with the two Navi models.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

True but could it mean they would release or at least talk about them in the next 6 months? I mean taking two off and putting two more back on makes sense. More variety. The rx 5600 has been leaked a bit.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean taking two off and putting two more back on makes sense. More variety.

They did take two off and put two more back on.

5700XT replaced the Vega 64.

5700 replaced the Vega 56.

For anything smaller they need to redesign the graphics core from the ground up.

Something like that takes time.

It's also limited by pricing having to use GDDR5 so that really limits how powerful of a core can be used before being memory starved.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean they released the two then canceled the other two so yes you are right. Who knows what will happen with the rx 5600 that has been leaked. https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-5600-navi-14-rumor

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Who knows what will happen with the rx 5600 that has been leaked.

They will cancel the RX 590 and below.

If that leak is valid.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't doubt that happening in the next few months.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That is pretty bizarre. RX570-RX590 is a price/performance powerhouse, and not competing at all with RX5700. The only reason I could imagine them dropping this is if they needed more wafers for 14nm "Matisse" (the I/O) chips from GloFo, or possibly the "Ryzen 3000" 12nm ALU/low end chips. I can't imagine GloFo being at full production (maybe they are helping Intel with their supply issues:). Even if the Ryzen chips were enough for their contractual obligations, I suspect it is worth making the 570-590 chips.

Probably some fantasy from nvidia fanboys. That's about the only place (along with ALUs) that AMD clearly makes sense over the nvidia competition (a 5700/5700XT with a real fan might make sense on price, but it isn't as overwhelming as Intel's low end boards). But even then, I can't see fanboys caring about the low end (even if they buy/use those boards).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube