add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

pcie3 ssd now or wait for pcie4 ssd

Case5549
  • 7 months ago

My build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4MfH6s

For some insight for my build I’m planning on getting a used rx580 or if I get the funds a used Vega 56 or a Navi card.

Should I get a cheaper ssd with 500gb that is pcie 3 and then wait for pcie 4 ssd’s to be more common and available. Or should I get a crucial p1 1tb ssd.

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So only get a pcie4 ssd when it is more common and is the same price. Ok thanks. At least I know I can have the option to run it

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Proper PCIE3x2 drives are still fairly expensive compared to QLC Unless it's a workstation, there's no point in PCIE3x2 nor x4; makes applications launch within margin of error, and you're not moving massive files all the time... Also in Canada, the x570 motherboard is >400 ; where you can get a decent b450 for $150. So skipe PCIE4 until it's needed.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

But "improper" PCIe3x4" are about $15 more than cheaper SATA devices at the 500GB level (and about the same premium at the TB level as well). And they are faster than the fastest SATA drives (I don't expect anyone to bother beating a 960 evo using SATA) while the cheap, dramless QLC SATA have nasty performance surprises (I've heard the ADATA SU650 uses QLC caching well, but plenty of horror stories in that market).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crucial-p1-nvme-ssd-qlc,5852-3.html

I'd also recommend looking at the Inland premium (not the PCIx2 pro) NVMe drive. Similar NVMe costs, but it gets rave reviews.

It comes down to whether that $15 (and time finding a good SATA drive at that price) is worth speeding up the large file transfer and slightly faster storage. I'm also curious if you can add a low-cost card to house your old drive (probably only getting one lane of PCIe) if you want a new, bigger, faster PCIe4 drive.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly why get on when it is high when I could wait a year for it to be cheaper.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube