add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would this be possible or worth it to RAID on a X470/570/B450? AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 2TB

aksn1p3r
  • 7 months ago

Would it be possible to RAID this on the X470 or X570 mobos and when would this SSD be released at what price... would it be worth it?

Or would it be better to get just one of these SSD, or alternatively which ONE or two SSD aside fom this AORUS 2TB would be worth it for those two mobos?

If not the X470 / X570 / B450, then which motherboard and which NVMe(s) are worth it for the best performance without inhibiting any speed between the components and RAM speed too?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

you can raid on all of those boards. if going with x570 and pcie 4.0 nvme the read writes while be super fast. using 1 ssd nve should be plenty fast for most users on x470, b450.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I was wondering if it is worth it for RAID because the speed on one SSD alone is more than enough for gaming I assume but also considering the new Ryzens, X470 should be compatible for the upcoming Ryzens but the X570 looks more appealing, just not for the budget.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not worth doing RAID for this.

The only workload that will show any advantage is a sequential benchmark. Nothing real world will scale.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Two problems:

There's only 20 lanes of PCI-e on either listed motherboard. You'd have a hard time noticing the difference.

My guess is that if you really wanted the best possible I/O, you would use something like a server or threadripper. I'd also expect that plenty of servers are already doing this. But on a desktop, your best bet would involve switching your GPU slot to a x8 slot and using the "other" x8 slot to connect two NVMe cards.

You'd be far better off just buying a 570 and a [reliable] PCIe4 NVMe card. Pretty much all SSD cards already use RAIN (redundant array of individual NAND), the difference is you typically don't have fair warning when it will brick (with RAID you know when each drive fails).

If you really like this idea, I'd recommend waiting for a potential Zen2-based threadripper (or just get a server CPU+motherboard).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube