add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU cooler blocking dual channel ram

Minar

6 months ago

My cpu fan is blocking 2 of the 4 ram slots so unable to take advantage of dual channel, just wondering if this would make much of a difference? Assuming it would increase fps but would it be enough to go out of my way to sort out?

Any tips appreciated!

Current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F8mHXP

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Your CPU fan is really blocking the two DIMM slots closest to the CPU socket?

Well the other idea that I would do is to relocate the CPU fan on the other side (assuming your CPU fan is horizontal angle, hint-hint, the logo on the fan will be not visible). Basically the fan will pull heat away from the CPU heatsink and exits through the back of case. In other words the CPU fan will become an exhaust for the heatsink and pushes through the back of case.

The other idea is changing the heatsink around to a vertical format. Depending how much room it is between your GPU and the CPU fan, it can remain the same format for the CPU fan (default format is pushing air through the heatsink, hint-hint, the logo on the fan is visible). However if it's too tight in between then change the location of the CPU fan behind the heatsink as well, keeping it as an exhaust (pulling the heat away and exits at the top of the case or bounces the heat to the top until it exits through the back of the case or wherever it will).

Either option, should help allow you to install RAM as a dual channel format: DIMM_B2 and DIMM_A2.

Just depends on how you would like to reformat the CPU fan alone or change the CPU cooler as a vertical for the sake of taking advantage of dual channel. I really do recommend using it when you have two pairs of RAM at any given time. Despite any issues that occur when putting one's computer together.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube