add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Who makes reliable parts?

NMNeil

1 month ago

I decided it was time to update my very old desktop PC. It won’t be used for gaming just general housekeeping, word processing, spreadsheet etc. The reason for the rebuild is after ‘upgrading’ from Windows 7 to Windows 10 it’s not co-operating with anything. The problem I’m having is that when I start picking parts, let’s say a motherboard and read the reviews most have at least 20% of buyers saying “Junk, DOA, customer support is non-existent, quit after a few days”. I know that if you want something cheap it will be built to a price rather than a standard, but even the supposedly top end parts have the 20% of buyers not happy. Do any manufacturers make reliable products anymore?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's not really by the manufacturer, as lots of disparity exists in most manufacturers' product lineups. Motherboards have a lot of variables involved, they are one of the most fragile pieces of a PC and if mishandled, they are easy to break. Granted, not a single motherboard manufacturer has Amazon-esque customer support, don't expect to get your money back unless you return to the retailer.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

See, the problem with reviews is people are more likely to write a review if they had a bad experience. You will always see that kind of stuff, always. I'd say most of those are pretty good. If bad ratings go up to 30% or more, I wouldn't get it. Get what you need, and don't get caught up on those bad reviews too much, unless the response to a product is blaringly bad.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Nearly all manufacturers of all the major parts have had hits and misses. The real garbage usually doesn't last long if it's from a reasonably well known brand name. Also, one man's garbage motherboard might work perfectly well for someone else who is stressing it differently.

Look for equipment reviews rather than customer feedback.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

AMD: TOMAHAWK, enough said (Ryzen 1/2/future 3 with maybe BIOS/200-240GE).

Intel: depends on which CPU

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

When it comes to customer service, i gotta give it to EVGA, had 2 GPU's break, a CPU cooler came DOA and a PSU that sparked, which was caused by my superior rick and morty 3000 IQ level of intellect. All replaced with no charge to me, not to mention they're customer service wasn't as highly automated or shipped off to some part of the world where nobody knows what a gaming pc is. From what i hear you can also return EVGA stuff you buy second hand but im not 100% sure on that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube