add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm a newbie, I need suggestions!

SuperKiL0

1 month ago

Hello all,

I just did my very first build ever and I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade to improve my build. Basically, this was just an intro build that I wanted to do because I was on a budget and my gaming laptop was at its life-end. So, to keep my sanity I built something cheap just so I could continue to play games.

My main components: Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor Graphics Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB OC Video Card

I basically am trying to figure out what I should do first to increase my speed in my PC...anyone have any suggestions? Go easy on me, I'm still learning! Your girl here is just starting out!

Thank you, Katie

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well, clearly you can upgrade either CPU or GPU. GPU is probably simplest, but the question is will it give you the gains you want?

One way to get an idea: are you playing games at low detail settings now, and want more fps? try a GPU upgrade. If your frame rate is not where you'd like even at low settings, you probably want to look at the CPU -- and because the motherboard is an older generation, you may need to replace it too. (Prices for older generation CPU's tends to stay alarmingly high, so unless you can score a nice deal, dropping in a new CPU might not be the best value move.) I don't know what CPU's you can put on that board off the top of my head, but the Gigabyte support page should have a list.

You don't say how much memory you have, and if it's less than 8 GB, that's probably an issue as well -- add memory to at least 8 GB.

You don't give an upgrade budget and without that, I hesitate to make specific component suggestions.

(Added: I assume this is a computer used mostly for gaming, if there are other important uses other than email and web browsing, let us know.)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube