add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I dissemble my gaming pc during a long move?

Lielanthris

5 months ago

So, Dumb/noobish question. I have a full size gaming computer with several mechanical drives, a very large cpu heatsink(Noctua) and a large 3 slot video card. I'm going to be moving to another part of the country. The trip is about 2,269 miles (3651km) according to my route plan. I'm worried that the long drive might be rough on the computer if it is still assembled. Should I take it apart or do you all think it would be okay so long as it is secured safely?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

you could probably get away with removing the CPU cooler (leave the backplate on) and removing the GPU. mechanical drives are pretty tough when they aren't powered on, and nothing else in the PC would be sensitive to movement.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

This. But with the CPU cooler it really depends. If it's big and heavy then yeah but if it's something small or an AIO watercooler then no need. But for sure remove the GPU.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

If you're the one driving it, it could be fine. I mean PC's aren't that fragile. But at the same time, it is safest to disassemble it.

The drive itself is probably fine. But you're probably one "slam on your brakes" close call away from breaking something. I would at least take the heatsink off and the GPU out and package them separately as they're really the most at risk components to jostling and coming off.

I once had a buddy who worked at an airline and went around to different stations to train people and he would send his PC through baggage, and it got totally destroyed because the GPU ended up tearing the socket out of the motherboard and smashing around in there. I definitely learned from his mistake. Granted the PC wasn't in his control as it was going through baggage. But I think the lesson still holds.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Taking it apart is probably safest. If you do decide to ship it together, here are instructions on how to do it safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1JbTXTnmj4

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally would disassemble it, just to be on the safe side. You never know what you might encounter on the road.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What I did in a move back in December 2017 is place a towel around it, put lots of the U-Haul sticky Tape on it, and it went into our 2002 F-250 SD in the front seat. Granted, it was only 25 miles at most away....

(Was a Dell with a Sempron 140 with 2GB RAM and 320GB HDD)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

you should take it apart bcs if you will left it how it is during a moviment , it can cause some damages on GPU slot , cooler on processor , and other things

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube