add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Case5549

6 months ago

I plan on over clocking when I build my computer. What are the general rules and tips for when overclocking. I know the basics. Also for overclocking is my build good and is the psu good enough?

My build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YmZnP3

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

750w should be enough unless you ya know bios flash and shunt mod your card.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok just making sure I’ll be ok.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

FYI although Arctic Silver 5 is a good paste (despite what morons will tell you), it's really not worth the hassle of cleaning off whatever paste is going to come on that Scythe cooler. At best you could expect to drop a couple C, but you're not going to be thermally limited when overclocking Ryzen with a good aftermarket cooler like this one, so that isn't going to matter. You're going to hit instability with the voltage instead. Tldr you don't need to buy it unless you're planning to be disassembling and reassembling your build

I'd look up reviews of the B3. I don't follow PSU's too closely but I feel like I recall hearing less than stellar reviews about that one.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks for the info and tips. Completely forgot about the thermal paste sometimes comes with a cpu cooler.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

if you meant overclocking the GPU, dont bother. its a blower card and there is too much heat generated that woudl prevent any reasonable overclocking.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I am only keeping the gpu as a placeholder same with the cpu with the new stuff coming out and all.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube