add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to specify requirements for a game build

Glitch-001

1 month ago

I have a few old builds laying around and would like to salvage these to make a new one for a friend to play one game - Realm of the Mad God, a flash based game. All the build will be for is playing this while running some light screen recording software like Bandicam.

Only problem is I have no idea what sort of specs to aim for.. I want to be cheap and use as few parts as possible - just hoping some people with more experience than myself will know how to go with this.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I mean probably anything will work, both applications take peanuts to run based on the system requirements for each.

A multi-core CPU. A few GB of RAM. A HDD in a working system should be sufficient. Nearly any OEM system from this decade would fit the bill. I think you'd have to go out of your way to not be able to meed the needs of your use case.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Okay I understand thank you, with this in mind I am thinking 8GB ram and an i3 5th gen and the rest stock, not sure if GPU would have any impact.. so leave it out? I also have far to many HDD to justify buying a new one, so I will figure out how to totally wipe one and install windows afresh.. or can this be done?

Again I am no expert! So please let me know if this doesn't make sense!!

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Okay I understand thank you, with this in mind I am thinking 8GB ram and an i3 5th gen and the rest stock, not sure if GPU would have any impact.. so leave it out?

That should work, the i3 iGPU should work fine for Realm of a Mad God. If you had an old midrange GPU laying around it couldn't hurt either, but no, I don't think it's necessary for those two applications.

so I will figure out how to totally wipe one and install windows afresh.. or can this be done?

Well that's pretty easy, you just need to format the drive. You can look up how to do that, plenty of options and guides. You can do it as part of the Windows install. A quick format should be sufficient for practical needs.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all your help with this! - love the name by the way :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube