add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 license - to transfer or not to transfer?

Nimrod-0

1 month ago

So I recall seeing a post somewhere from someone that worked building and purchasing parts for the computers at a hospital, and he mentioned how it was incredibly misunderstood by most people that you should not migrate your windows 10 license.

He said the first time you introduce windows to a system, it optimizes itself to that system and when you migrate the license windows would continue to operate the same way it would if it was on the old computer. This makes little sense to me since you're redownloading win 10 via a LICENSE, but I wanted to check in and make sure I wasn't going to make a newbie mistake.

Currently building a new computer after giving up on my 7-year-old gaming PC. It used to be windows 7, but then I got the free upgrade to windows 10. So I am trying to decide if I should transfer the license or buy a new one.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Transferring the license doesn't cause any problems so long as it can be transferred.

The problems start if You just swap a drive out of one system with Windows on it to a completely different hardware setup because the older drivers and registries stay in use along with the new which can cause a headache or system instability.

Best practice is anytime You swap motherboards do a new installation of Windows.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube