add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cloning a C Drive to new SSD

IcepickXIII

5 months ago

Hey guys, I was looking for some advice on if this is possible.

Short version, I'm looking to clone my C to a new SSD and boot from the new SSD from now on.

The long version:

When I originally set up Windows 10, I bought a 1TB SSD and partitioned it to have 32GB for the C and the rest for my games. This proved to be problematic because I'm constantly running low on space limiting me from installing certain games or downloading larger files. I had purchased a secondary SSD 500GB (might be overkill but I'd rather have the headroom) and was planning on reinstalling windows on that drive instead. Though, I'm extremely lazy and don't want to reinstall everything again so I was wondering if there's a way to clone my C to the new SSD while maintaining the rest of my 1TB SSD? I just want to do this as smoothly and lazily as possible. If it's not a thing, then I'll bite the bullet and do a full reinstall of Windows.

If you need it, here's my whole parts lists: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DhnYtg

(formatting help didn't appear and I seldom come around here lately, so sorry for beginner post formatting and all that)

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

If your new drive is a Samsung too, they provide great software for cloning your drive to a new one. I've never tried to do a single partition only, but I believe it supports that. I've used it on many PCs and never had any problems with it.

You can find it here under Data Migration: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

My dude, you're a savior! I'm going to try this out as soon as possible! Thanks for the lead!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube