add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on gpucheck.com for "bottlenecking?"

Vairfoley

1 month ago

I've recently seen people referencing this website while making component decisions but I'm not sure how accurate this is. I would think a Ryzen 5 2600 + 2070 would outperform an 8700K + 2060 combo but this website says otherwise. Am I not taking "bottlenecking" as seriously as I should? Anybody have any more info?

https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/compare/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-vs-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060/amd-ryzen-5-2600-vs-intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz/ultra/ultra

I've always felt that bottlenecking is thrown around way too much and that people care too much about it. I have an 8700K in my system but I'm definitely an AMD fan. I always recommend getting the best GPU you can afford along with a Ryzen 5 2600 for a good all around gaming machine but this website is telling me otherwise...

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 5 points

Questions like does X bottleneck Y are almost always wrong-headed, from what I've seen. The right way is to start with your performance requirements, and then make sure that each link of the chain can meet them.

These bottleneck calculator sites are presumably trying to achieve a best balance among parts. Unfortunately, the balance is going to depend very heavily on the app/game being run and the other parts of the chain; it's useless to "balance" CPU and GPU while leaving performance needs, game engine/app, memory, and monitor out of the equation. And, in any case, you aren't building the computer to be balanced, you're building it to run your games/applications.

A bottleneck calculator will tell you that a 200GE bottlenecks a 2080 Ti, or that an RX 550 bottlenecks an i9-9900K. While true, in the sense of the maximum capabilities of one part exceeding the other part in uses that the calculator is considering, it may be completely irrelevant in any given use case. It's the wrong question to ask, plain and simple.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

bottle necking is not a clear cut thing. It depends on the workload.

Yes, in a lot of instances the 2600 + 2700 will be better. especially with the new flaws found in intel CPUS

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would think that in most instances a Ryzen 5 + a 2070 would be better. A 2070 is better than a 2060 (duh) and any of those CPUs are very capable. If you want a great lesson on how bottlenecking works go here https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/214851-on-cpugpu-bottlenecking-in-games

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

I would think a Ryzen 5 2600 + 2070 would outperform an 8700K + 2060 combo but this website says otherwise.

The 2600 will perform like a 2600.

The 8700K will perform like a 8700K.

The graphics card change only effects what resolution and quality settings You can use.

So performance wise the faster CPU will always win well the slower CPU will always hold You back.

The only time the graphics card is limiting You is when You refuse to alter quality settings and/or resolution.

That being said Don't choose You parts based on that site.

Always look up in use benchmarks in Your uses to choose parts or You risk poorly informed choices.

Edit: In this case the 2600+2070 gains You lets say 20% graphics performance which only effects quality setting or resolution for a percentage loss of potential frame rates.

Performance will be lower in exchange You can take a settings hit and move up a resolution or a gain in quality settings increase or two since 20% isn't enough to make a full jump in resolution.

So if You are using a lower refresh rate monitor with a higher resolution the 2600 would allow higher quality settings, if You are using a higher refresh rate monitor the 8700K allows You more frame rates.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

They look at performance as frame rates so the faster CPU will always win.

Example pairing a RTX Titan with a CPU capable of 80fps in a given title will limit You to 80fps no matter what even when paired with the absolute best performance card made.

Pair a RTX 2070 with a CPU that can do 200fps in that same title lets You run higher frame rates even though You have a weaker card.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube