add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build advice

Case5549

5 months ago

I want to build a computer for the first time on December 20 which I hope to be done that day or just before Christmas. So what should I be worrying or preparing for. Also how do mail in rebates work. Do I have to worry about dieing components and if so how long would it take to be replaced. Overall what is some advice when building.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

... how do mail in rebates work.

Read the requirements listed by the company offering the rebate.
Requirements varies depending on the company.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "General > General Discussion".

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I took a very patient two years to learn whatever I could before attempting my first ever build; but 2 years was my choice. At first, nothing made sense to me and I was overwhelmed and very deflated, yet I stayed the course. I was determined to do it. Eventually you will have that "Aha..!" moment and your knowledge will begin falling into place.

So you've set aside a half year before you wanna build your PC. Ask lots of questions in forums or in stores, watch YouTube videos, start Googling whatever comes to mind. I kept a notepad in my car, used a notepad app on my phone, and looked up EVERYTHING on Google once I got home. Component reviews are invaluable but remember that everyone has different opinions. Resist buying anything until closer to your build because RMA's have a limited return window.

Some popular and reputable YouTube channels are Gamers Nexus, JayzTwoCents, Tech Deals, Paul's Hardware, BitWit, Linus Tech Tips, HardwareCanucks, and Hardware Unboxed. There are many more out there so the more you find the better informed you will become.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

How close does the build need to be for the a to work I’m planning on getting the parts on Black Friday and building on December 20? Also I spent all of 2018 learning about PC’s so I know enough to build one.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

My usual tips for the first time builder are one, lay out the motherboard, PSU, and cabling in the case without actually hooking anything up, just to get an idea of where things fit and where to run cables; and two, after you have it all built, walk away and distract yourself for a while. Then go back and re-check all the connections to make sure they go where they are supposed to go, before you turn it on.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes definitely this. To clarify one thing: lay out those above mentioned parts OUTSIDE the case. It's a thing called BREAD BOARDING. You do want to connect the parts together (monitor included) and add power to them. If fans are spinning, lights are functioning, and the BIOS screen shows up on the monitor then those main components are functioning properly. Any future problems after the build is completed can be easier to troubleshoot (ie a missed wire, something not seated properly and so on).

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually I was thinking more of physical layout, placing the parts in the case (gently!) without connecting anything just to get an idea of where everything goes and where there's room for cables (or not).

Breadboarding as you explain it is certainly an option; depending on how simple or complex the build is, it might be a useful thing.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a hard lesson I learned because I ended up building my PC twice.. Also got fixated on cable management as I went.. Another lesson learned lol.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I cable managed my build by putting an opaque side on the case. Done!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube