add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Don't wanna put my pc on floor but...

OfMiceAndRice

1 month ago

Looking to create more desk space, so I was thinking about putting my pc on the floor. No fear of flooding, but It is carpeted, which from what I read isnt good(for fear of it overheating so looking to raise it off the ground maybe a foot or 2. I don't just wanna throw a piece of plywood underneath it bc I still feel like it'd overheat want it on some sort of mini desk, but don't know what to Google to find that haha. The tower itself is pretty heavy(I'd say over 70lb) but I don't have exact weight. Anyone got any ideas besides building my own?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

The main issues with being on the floor are airflow and dust. A suitable piece of wood or other solid will take care of both; if the carpet is a deep shag you might want to extend the board out a fair amount, if it's a flat weave you can size it to the case.

Google "computer floor stand". Monoprice seems to have one that looks good. (Edited: it's actually a desk monitor stand but it's going in the right direction.)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It is a corsair 570X. That computer floor stand Google puts me in the right direction. I just couldn't think of what to Google idk if the corsair is good for airflow or dust and not sure about the carpet kind lol

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If the case has a good bottom dust filter it shouldn't be a problem. One of the biggest issues with carpet is the feet sink into it further than a hard surface and the fibers in the rug can clog bottom air intake for the PSU and/or bottom intake fan if you have one.

A few ways around this is to get a board of wood to sit the PC on or if only the PSU takes air from the bottom you can flip it around to take its air from inside the case rather then the floor.

I also sit my PC on the floor under my desk and there is one other problem that I discovered long ago..... Cleaning!!. Having to pull your system out to either clean under your desk or to clean out the PC itself can be a lot harder due to how awkward it is. Simple solution: Wheel tray.

When I built my Ryzen Stealth build I also had a custom tray made for my PC for super cheap. The 3rd and 4th pics in my completed build shows the tray well. It used to be the top of an old 1950's dishwasher cut to size and I added 4 coaster wheels on the bottom and painted it black. I also did a cutout at the bottom for both the PSU and extra bottom intake fans. To keep my PC from sliding off the tray I countersunk 4 holes 1/2" deep into the tray for the 4 feet positions. The feet are exactly 3/4" tall so I can remove the bottom dust filter without taking the PC off the tray. The wheels raise the wood off the floor by 1.5" so the bottom intakes have double the size of gap to pull in fresh air.

Since I also like taking my PC outside to dust out (who wants that dust to stay in the house!) I can just wheel it there instead of having to bother picking up the system. If I need to vacuum under there it is an easy move out of the way. You can also buy trays online but it was far cheaper to build what I thought was a better one for myself. Scrap wood was free and the pack of 4 wheels costed me like $4 to $5 iirc.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

what case is it? Maybe you can consider rubber feet to raise it a bit more.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Maybe a planter stand with some wheels?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube