add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help with build, returning PC gamer

Ovibe13

6 days ago

Hi all, I am returning to PC after years of relying on Console systems. I have modest needs for gaming, honestly looking for a build that will allow me to meet standards for most current games but I definitely do not need high end gaming. Mostly using for music recording and general computer use with some gaming. I recently purchased a new video card, and would like to build around it. If there is any opinions on the card being outdated or bad, I would love to know. Thanks!

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5

I think I am looking for a build with the AMD Ryzen 2600x and shooting for 16gb ram. I will need all things other than the video card. Ideas for compatible and great value parts?

• Budget: Under $600
  • Use (gaming, rendering, etc): Current gaming standards, but nothing high end
  • Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): Suggestions for monitor, do not need others
  • Operating System required: Windows 10 64bit

Comments

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Out of interest how much did you pay for the gtx 1050ti and is it returnable? Just checking the purchases bang for buck.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $149.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $72.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $29.95 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Case Thermaltake - Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $49.99 @ Walmart
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $119.99 @ Dell
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $612.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-17 12:24 EDT-0400
  • 6 days ago
  • 1 point

I bought it last July for $199 because my previous card busted and I needed a quick fix. Would it be better to just get a new card?

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

To be honest, you are going to compromise other areas of the build if a GPU is needed in your budget, even if you sell you won't get enough to really bring you up a tieror two. So I would stick with it for now and upgrade when money allows. You should look to a card at and above $225 such as a gtx 1660 to see a decent uplift.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

I would allow more to the budget if I was going to replace it. Most likely another $200. Maybe the build would be optimized for me if I could just upgrade the card later and have it be compatible.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

See how you get in with the 1050ti, and if you feel constrained see if you can snag a gtx 1660 for $200 later on.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the help!

[comment deleted]
  • 6 days ago
  • 1 point

If you bought the 1050ti new, the 1660 or 1660ti offers a lot better performance for not much more money. However, I know pre-owned 1050tis are often a good snag for an entry level gaming PC. If you did buy it new and have an option to return it, I would definitely go that route but it's up to you.

Here's what I put together.

• I agree with your choice of CPU and RAM. 2600X + 16GB of 3200mhz RAM.

• Good and quality B450 motherboard. Will have enough I/O and features to get you by for a while. Should also be able to handle a very mild overclock should you wish.

• 1TB SSD. Again, budget but great considering the price. For slightly cheaper, you could go with a 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD but SSD is really the way to go anymore.

• Good budget case. This will have acrylic side panels which will scratch easily. You could spend about $30 more and get something with a tempered glass side panel instead.

• Reliable but slightly older PSU. It'll get the job done for sure.

As far monitor suggestions, see the links below. Of course, the 144hz monitor is way overkill for a 1050ti but the price is very competitive if you ask me. I would only get it if you think you might upgrade the GPU later on.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $74.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA - Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GAMING X 4G Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $39.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $59.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $539.74
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $519.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-17 12:27 EDT-0400

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Hc48d/dell-s2419hgf-240-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-s2419hgf

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9fw7YJ/asus-vp248qg-240-1920x1080-60-hz-monitor-vp248qg

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

I bought the 1050 TI last July for $199 as a quick fix. I am open to replacing it if it is that outdated already and there are much better options. Just want to keep cost down.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

No worries. I still think it will perform well enough for your needs and uses. The 1050ti is a good card for simple 1080p60 gaming around medium settings

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Curious as to why you opted for a single storage drive when all other builds have two? I feel out of the loop on the advantages.

• 6 days ago
  • 2 points

Generally speaking, most PC builds use two drives as a way to keep costs down. The majority of builds use both an SSD and HDD. The SSD is typically used for the operating system, all programs, maybe photos/videos and maybe your favorite game or two depending on the size of the SSD. SSDs are MUCH faster so basically, you keep the most important stuff on the SSD. Boot times are also MUCH faster on an SSD.

HDDs are slow but very inexpensive for the amount of storage you get. Typically, people store games, videos/photos, music or whatever else on the HDD. Basically, things that are of less importance to you. Storing games on an HDD is fine as the speed of the drive has no influence on the FPS that you'll get but the boot times will be longer in comparison.

I chose to include only an SSD in the build above because SSDs are starting to become very affordable so instead of spending say, $50 on a 500GB SSD and $40 on a 2TB HDD, I thought you might enjoy a $95 1TB SSD more. This way, everything can be stored on a single drive (making it easier for you) and everything runs and boots fast. I figured you didn't need 2.5-3TB of storage space considering your uses.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Great thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

If I wanted a bigger case for the ability to add some fans what would you recommend?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube