add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build - Gaming, video/picture editing, complete novice, under $1500

Next23

6 months ago

Located in Eastern Kentucky so not a ton of PC stores. Windows based.

Need everything, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc., complete novice as far as what to use parts wise.

Would it be better to build 2 different PC?

Son plays Fortnite, Madden, PUBG on XBox, also an athlete and would edit his game film.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $399.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $119.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $115.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $114.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card $478.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Phanteks - P300 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1479.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-17 10:34 EDT-0400

You don't need to build two PCs, you would just end up getting lesser quality parts for both. Depending on the software more cores are better, but certain programs really benefit from speedier processors so the 9700K is a good option. It's 8 core 8 thread and turbos to 4.9GHz without even overclocking.

The cooler I selected for the processor should be perfect in terms of price/performance ratio. If you wanted better cooling you'd have to pay a pretty decent premium and it should cool the 9700k really well in both games and projects.

The CPU being as fast as it is coupled with an RTX 2070 graphics card your son should be able to get some really high frame rates in the games he likes to play.

For storage he should use the SSD as a boot drive and for all of his games and programs while the hard drive acts as mass storage for his completed projects or raw video/picture files. Depending on how avid of an editor your son is you might end up needing more storage eventually but 2TB should last him a good while.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

How long would I get out of this computer as far as gaming, 2-3 years?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

No, much longer than that. I would say 6-10 before you would start to need upgrades, and upgrades aren't entirely necessary (usually just preferred). Think about a 2007 Television, it will still work just fine as long as you don't break it, it will just be outdated in terms of resolution and other bells and whistles that comes with new tech.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

i would say probably 3-5 years before you'd want to upgrade the graphics card depending on how games improve. The CPU 6-10 years easy

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

"Son plays Fortnite, Madden, PUBG on XBox" So does he plan to play those titles on PC? or does he want to stream the gameplay onto PC?

"also an athlete and would edit his game film." So he wants to create some game highlights of his IRL plays?

Please confirm as im not too sure on what you're asking for.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

He plays football, basketball, and baseball.

He is 12, I would edit film.

Plans to play titles on PC.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube