add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Vybe stage 4 with overclock

PleaseTeachMe

7 months ago

Hello. I am new to hardware and I just ordered a pc from Maingear, the Vybe stage 4 with overclock option. The specs as listed on the website are:

Intel Core i9 9900K 8-core MSI Z390 A-Pro Epic 240 Super cooler 16GB DDR4 RAM NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 750W PSU 512GB Intel 660p M.2 NVME SSD 2TB Storage HDD

It cost about $2800 before warranty and shipping which ended at $3000. This is a MASSIVE investment for me. I realize now I should have built my own but since I’m stuck with it I would like any opinions on the build and price. Is it good? Did I get ripped off? Whatever opinions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Omg those ********!! This is from Maingear so I will do what I can to get the word out that they are scam artists. As a newbie to the scene I tried to do research, I really did! There are sooo many sites that are the first to pop up in a google search which implies they are popular and trustworthy. I would have happily paid $300 for the ease and certainty of having a pro put it together for me. $1000?!? I am a big boy and accept that it was my mistake but that is so much money. How do hey sleep at night? I don’t subscribe to the idea that if you get screwed it’s your own fault. I did research. It just is that everything I read was a setup to scam me out of my money. If you are not into this stuff you are pretty much f-ed.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

They have a 20% restocking fee. It’s retarded. Well I mean obviously great for them. That’s $560 down the toilet. I will look closer at their return policy. Maybe if it’s literally unopened they might take it back but obviously they are not interested in return customers. If it had been a reasonable markup and it worked they could have had a customer for life. Maybe that’s just how it works and they know most people will smarten up and build it themselves for less so they get as much as they can while they can.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I would eat the restocking fee and call it a lesson learned. With only ~$2500 you could still build a better system. Plus even for $3000 they used cheap parts such as that board.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $399.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Corsair - H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $169.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $179.99 @ Amazon
Memory Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel - 660p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $199.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card $1098.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design - Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case $154.36 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.49 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2567.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-17 23:36 EDT-0400

Didn't get the 9900K since for just gaming (what I'm assuming this is for) it has really no benefit over a 9600K/8700K/9700K since games can only use many threads and even a 9700K is more than plenty and is what I would call borderline overkill.

It has a better cooler than whatever AIO they slapped in. Plus this comes with some pretty nice RGB fans.

It has a motherboard that is light years better. Its like comparing a base model 35K BMW to a 500K rollsroyce.

I'm assuming they didn't give you 3200mhz since they would probably charge extra for that and would make sure to mention it in the specs. Plus this has RGB.

It has quadruple the SSD storage.

It has a RTX 2080 Ti which as you may know is the best GPU on the market currently unless you want to pay out of the *** for the RTX Titan for a minor upgrade in performance.

It has a much better case.

Don't you love it when you pay that much for a system only to get a mystery PSU which is probably some budget model. Not with this build. I went for a top of the line PSU.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow thank you so much!! I really appreciate you taking the time. This is an amazing build and man I wish I knew enough to know how good it was lol. I have to consider it for a bit, I have 30 days to return, -the restocking fee. Building my own from scratch is scary. I know people say it’s like LEGO’s but it’s not. At least to someone who has never even installed... anything really. Where does it all go? What if I put it together wrong? If it doesn’t work when I’m done, how do I figure out the bad piece or connection? I was planning on buying a prebuilt to buy time to do more research and watch videos and maybe start building before I need the next one so if something goes wrong I have the time to figure it out and have something to fall back on. Also with my prebuilt I have 2 year warranty on parts, labor and tech support. For someone with as little knowledge as me that is very attractive. I am very grateful for your post but I need to think about it. Crap I am probably right where they want me to be, ignorant and scared, but it is what it is.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I know people say it’s like LEGO’s but it’s not. At least to someone who has never even installed... anything really. Where does it all go? What if I put it together wrong? If it doesn’t work when I’m done, how do I figure out the bad piece or connection? I

Its not hard to be honest. The hard part is picking parts and this is coming from someone who has built around 10 PC's and probably has made at least 1000 part lists. You really can't put it together wrong if you watch some videos besides the front panel connector which I think everyone has managed to **** up but that no consequences, everything will only fit in one place. You troubleshoot. I have taught people how to build a PC on the spot before and we got it done in around a hour. If you watch videos and do your research/ask questions you can build a PC.

Also with my prebuilt I have 2 year warranty on parts, labor and tech support.

You will get at least a 2 year warranty on all of the parts in the build above with the CPU cooler having iirc 5 years and the PSU having 10 years. The warranty is usually a downside to prebuilts.

Crap I am probably right where they want me to be, ignorant and scared, but it is what it is.

Exactly, they have you right when they want you.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Well at least it has pretty good specs... yeah sorry dude, as 'IForgotMyPassword' said, you were way overcharged.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you refuse delivery?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Already delivered and unpacked. I am thinking I will return. It drives me crazy I’m just handing them $560 for nothing, literally nothing. But the fact that I can build a BETTER pc with what I get back, and the fact that the system wasn’t even that stable...I mean if you are going to F my butt at least use some lube.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

See post below. I made (another) mistake in posting a response instead of replying. I also forgot to thank you for taking the time to educate me. Unlike the other 30 snobs who just said “haha **** that guy.”

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube