add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ideas on "Big Azz" Desk ;-)

Wrobo

2 months ago

I'm getting a den/office soon and am looking for a desk with a very large surface area for my tower, 34" ultrawide, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and perhaps a printer. Keyboard tray is a no for me.

I am looking for something at least 36" deep (the deeper the better) and likely 6 feet wide. I'm toying with the idea of buying (or salvaging) a solid door and putting it on file cabinets that are height appropriate. I could build one with 2x4's and plywood, however, I would like for it to look somewhat elegant. I'm not sure I could pull off furniture-quality work ;-)

Does anyone have an idea of an retailers that might sell a mega-desk or perhaps other ideas on building one?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

plywood

That's your problem. Don't use plywood. You can get some nice fencepost material or 3x3"s for legs, or alternatively make legs out of layers of 1x3"s glued/resin'd together. Should be sturdy enough, and if you sand it right it'll look good. For the top desk surface get yourself a solid board, probably want at least 1/2" for what you describe, and maybe you want to do two smaller layers with the grain at 90 degrees, or a metal backplate for extra rigidity if you don't want it to be too thick. As a bonus, this can make it much easier to hide screwwork by attaching one layer, applying screws, and attaching the second later. If you make it crazy wide and deep, you probably want some crossbeams or other extra support, like corner brackets at the back. Many large professional desks have a large beam down the center for extra support.

You can get solid boards at your local home improvement store out of woods like maple or pine. There may be more available to you depending on where you are. I can't say for certain but I think last time I looked my local store had tons of 4'x8' boards, along with some thin panelling that would be great for covering the sides if you wanted it as closed and monolithic looking as possible.

Proper custom cabinetry is a PITA, but could be done as well if you were so inclined. Using the 4x8' board I mentioned, uncut, you could come in 2' at each side for some pretty large cabinets and still have about 3.5' of regular leg room besides. Also, extra support at the sides is great for holding up that heavy tower for long periods. If you didn't want to do full out custom cabinetry, using metal file cabinets can work. Use well-secured boards and tons of screws to hold them in place on the sides, back, and top if possible. Veneer or panelling could be used around it in order to give it a good finished look. Could be very nice if you want a more industrial chic desk, use some black filing cabinets with a light stain or stainless cabinets with a dark stain.

Oh, and you can build in cable management solutions. If you use the metal filing cabinets, leave a gap at the top using 2x4"s or something, bore holes in any panel or veneer near where you want stuff, attach any extras like hooks or velcro you want, and there you go.

If you ever need to move this thing, cry. That goes for any big desk though, to be fair.

Edit: Note I'm primarily looking at a normal rectangle, but the design can be altered for a U or L desk. My current desk is a U desk I bought on sale, heavy, horrid to put together and move, but looks great and I love it. U desks are a good option if you want a lot of surface area, and since you can make them naturally come apart at the corners, they can be a bit easier to move than you might otherwise expect.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much for the time and thought you put into this response. I really appreciate it!

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm toying with the idea of buying (or salvaging) a solid door and putting it on file cabinets that are height appropriate.

You can also do kitchen base cabinet instead of file cabinets which are normally cheap to salvage.

If You snag the door pre-drilled for a lockset You even have built in cable management that only needs a grommet.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you as well!

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

You can get a solid door like you said, and use railing posts as your legs(they look nice and are relatively cheap). Then, use a sheet of plexiglass or metal or something similar to create a flat work surface. If you need to increase rigidity, you can use some 2x4 boards in between the legs to stop the legs from shifting around.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I had similar requirements and, accidentally, saw this. This is was I bought and I honestly don't regret it. But it's not quite 36" deep. On the other hand, it is extendable and I personally find it very useful (71 or 94"...I guess you could customize it). Be sure that the height is good with you too, as I'm not sure if it is standard for a desk... and check if the borders are not a pain with your chair's armrests.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks like a very solid option ;-) And if I get tired of it (or something better comes around), I can replace my kitchen table :-D

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You might look at used office furniture places. Actually a friend of mine gave me a desk about that size I am using, its huge. It takes up some footage. Its a little rough in spots from being moved/stored but nice oak finish and it was free at the time so I took it (and could be refinished). Have a 27 monitor on it and two PCs and have lots of room, it is a crawl when I have to get under it for wiring purposes. But it is certainly a business desk and looks nice, that is what I would search for. Also have an old cubicle reception desk here that works really nice, I'm a real believer in old office stuff. It can take some digging or a friend to find it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube