add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Repurposing broken-ish phones

OogaBoogaLettuce

2 months ago

So, I had a s8, dropped it, and the screen got destroyed. I got a s8+ (190 woo) and i was thinking of reusing the s8 as something else, although i don't have a clue on what to do with it. I have a note 4 with Android Pie too...

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You could use it as an external hard drive?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If the screen is the only broken portion, you should be able to use it as a tracking device of some kind. Maybe you could do some spy-like missions, have a treasure hunt, or just set it up at a place you go often. Only problem is you’d have to keep the device(s) charged.

Either that or try to sell it if you can erase your personal data. I don’t know exact prices, but I’d imagine it’s cheaper to buy a used phone and get screen repair than to buy one new.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

screen + Digitizer, doesn't detect fingerprints, although everything else is fine, and yeah, it is cheaper to buy a new phone

I got a s8+ for 190 with a small group of dead pixels and a few scratches vs screen replacement for 219

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I suppose it’s obvious I don’t really follow the mobile phone market at all. Lol

Well, even if the economics route doesn’t pan out, you can still pretend to be a spy. I’m afraid I cannot offer any ideas beyond that. Best of the luck to you!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I know people that run their car stereo with a tablet or phone, of course you need a screen to do that.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't remember if the S8 has support for display out... If it does, maybe try a docking station + USB keyboard/mouse? Should be fairly competent as a streaming device, and if you can set up Bluetooth you can use it for emulation or Android games using a wireless controller. If the digitizer still works at all this would be much easier, just connect it to an external screen and try to set up Bluetooth peripherals.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube