add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ZFGeek

6 months ago

I'd like to possibly flip PCs for fun, experience, and maybe a little cash. How would I go about doing that?

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

I'd like to possibly flip PCs for fun, experience, and maybe a little cash. How would I go about doing that?

I'm not sure if anyone's paying for that sort of talent. Maybe stick to flipping bottles. It'd probably end up being easier on your back, and your wallet.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Real men can flip a full caselab tx10.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Ouch im not a real man that thing is massive.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, neither am I...

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Self destruction - 100

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh, it'll be good for building muscle. Start with mini ITX and work up from there.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Grab good deals on cragslist, ebay auction, letgo, offer and gumtree or a constant combo on ebay you can get it every time you check there (ie the intel dh55xx+xeon x3430/3440.

Get a good case as that's your main bait, get a psu that isn't total grabo, cheap gpus like the rx 4xx/5xx is great options for people on a budget.

Take good pictures by taking the desktop to an open area with good lighting and set the price 15-20% higher than what you built it for.

Ez

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for some basic guidelines!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried that and it failed, but then again, my family hasn't had a successful history of selling stuff, so hopefully you'll do better.

It doesn't help we live in Spain, either

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

oof.

If you move to america, you can find used parts very cheaply.

Or use aliexpress xd

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha, true, we'll be moving there soon-ish

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "General > General Discussion".

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure it's possible.

But... building a PC is a relatively basic skill, fairly low bar to meet. I'm not saying everyone can or should know how, but it's hardly a skill that has low supply and high demand.

This is kind of like changing people's oil for fun, experience and a little cash. There's already a million oil change places, and it's a pretty simple/low value skill, and in both cases the majority of users have no interest in changing their oil or building a PC. As long as you keep your expectations realistic you should be OK. Also remember anything that involves dealing with customers invariably sucks, so I hope you're prepared for that too.

On the other hand it's a huge market and there's probably always room to nibble on the PC pie.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand where you are coming from, and you make a good point. Although, building a PC itself is pretty easy, understanding the parts and details behind them to get the parts needed is the hard part. There can be a steep learning curve for some people to learn the information required to get to the point of building a PC. Going with your oil example, changing oil in a car doesn't have nearly as many variables in doing it. Maybe what oil to put in, and how to do it for your specific car, but thats pretty much it. Some people just don't want to go through months of learning and searching to build a PC. Thank you for your opinion though! ;)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Well we can debate about the exact hardness and variables of each task. But relative difficulty doesn't matter. Whatever difficulties there are in PC building, they aren't what's keeping the layman at bay, it's pure lack of interest in the subject. And regardless, in their respective fields they are just the level 0 basic tasks that anyone who has any interest in IT or cars can pretty much do. And the guys working at Geek Squad or similar entry level IT jobs , or quick lube places aren't making serious bank so far as I know because the skills are easy and the market doesn't value them all that much... which was my point. You know, analogies, they compare things that have some similarities but are otherwise unlike...

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

True, true... your right. Thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I more just wanted to do it every once in a while when I have some extra money to back the purchase, not as a more permenant job. I have a job already, and I make semi decent money from it. Definitely not enough fo start flipping full time.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube