add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

People who gouge / overprice items online

andrewrayhons

2 months ago

The general lack of knowledge of what to charge for old / used parts astounds me. People post items for MORE than what they are if you buy them from amazon / newegg, and then when you call them out / send them a link, they simply say "I'm hoping to sell to someone who doesn't know, and pay some bills."

Or people who post used items and ask for what you can pay amazon for brand new, like the think their used dirty / dusty items should be worth new parts.

General rule I use when selling parts, if it's clean, and runs perfectly, I take 60% of what you can buy new, and post at that price. Hopefully it sells, but willing to accept 50% of what it would take to rebuild using parts from today's price.

But I can't stand people who post them items on facebook / craigslist / offerup and expect to sell for more than the items are worth.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

When I price items for what they're worth, they often sell for what I price them at. People who want a deal know what they're looking for and see that my price is fair; if they try to lowball me, I won't make the deal.

Generally, I follow a formula for selling builds and parts:

If I'm selling an entire build:

Price of new, equivalent build - ( Price of new, equivalent build * 0.09 * ( Age of CPU in years + Age of GPU in years) / 2 )

If I'm selling an individual part:

Price of new, equivalent part - ( Price of new, equivalent part * 0.09 * Age of part in years )

These formulae assume a nominal depreciation of 9% per fiscal year and are reasonably fair with a high, successful sale rate.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm right there with you. Appreciate your formula, and your view.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Those are actually some pretty smart formulas. I may use those in the future, thanks!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

While personally I do not mark up my items and sell often as I like new shiny stuff, will sell for the reasonable price items are going for when looking around at local market.

Now while I have some sympathy for buyers who buy second hand stuff at pretty much new prices, there is an onus on them I feel to do there research, this pretty much applies to all buying and selling second hand. Do your research. While I do not agree with people trying to RIP others off, I do not go out my way to be hot and bothered by if if there is someone trying to make more money by selling there item for close to RRP or whatever second hand if people buy it without doing there homework.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The general lack of knowledge of what to charge for old / used parts astounds me. People post items for MORE than what they are if you buy them from amazon / newegg, and then when you call them out / send them a link, they simply say "I'm hoping to sell to someone who doesn't know, and pay some bills."

It's none of your business. If it sells at that price, whatever. No one has an obligation to match newegg or amazon. or whatever price you want to see or believe is appropriate. You're not captain price control. Buyer beware if they don't shop around. It's not the seller's job to protect the buyer from their own ignorance or laziness. It's just that simple.

Or people who post used items and ask for what you can pay amazon for brand new, like the think their used dirty / dusty items should be worth new parts.

They're worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them. You seem to be trying to make a moral argument, there is none. Either people buy the thing for the asked for price, or they haggle it down, or the seller lowers the price until he or she does get a bite.

General rule I use when selling parts, if it's clean, and runs perfectly, I take 60% of what you can buy new, and post at that price. Hopefully it sells, but willing to accept 50% of what it would take to rebuild using parts from today's price.

Great. Upside is with everyone overpricing their bits, your stuff probably sells faster. Or you're selling your stuff for less than you could be. Either way, as long as you're happy. After all I don't think you'd be too keen on being lectured that you ought to price your stuff at 85% of new value, because you're ruining the market for used parts by undercutting everyone else... moral of the story is you do you and mind your own business.

But I can't stand people who post them items on facebook / craigslist / offerup and expect to sell for more than the items are worth.

That's really a you problem, not a them problem. Your worst feeling about it "ought to be", "I'm not buying that thing for that price, it's nuts." Anything more is just wasting your time and just a avenue to massage your own ego.

• 2 months ago
  • -2 points

You obviously have no clue about business tactics. Not trying to be rude. But most often when I sell things I price it higher than what I want and when someone offers me lower than that, if it is around what I originally wanted than I take the deal. For example I am selling a PC that is worth $500. I would price it at $650 and if someone offers $550-600 for it than I will take it.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Hrm, I price my items what they are worth, and then sell them for that. I don't price them over what they are worth and then have people think that I'm just trying to gouge them or take advantage of them. I try to add value to my customers, something maybe you should look into m8.

• 2 months ago
  • 0 points

I have value for my customers. But i also want to make money. Its a fine line. If you don't know what something is worth, than its your fault not mine.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Dude, just stop. Something is worth what someone will pay for it.

• 2 months ago
  • 0 points

So if someone WILL pay $5000 for a system with a i3 8100 and a 1050ti in it. Is it worth that? Hell no. You really aren't making much of a case here. Worth in itself is partially subjective, but it is also based upon comparing prices to similar components and past selling prices of the item. I don't see the problem with pricing something higher than what its "worth". If someone messages me saying my item is overpriced, than I will ask them why, if they cannot provide me with substantial proof as to why my item is overpriced, than they don't have an argument. If someone will pay $600 for a system that is "worth" $500, than technically wouldn't it be "worth" $600. If someone thinks that I am "gouging them" or "taking advantage of them", than they won't be buying my item.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well people selling used on places like craigslist are not always expected to be business people. Though I think it would be fine putting a price and saying the price is firm. Say you want to sell a PC for $600 and say the price is firm in the ad then that is perfectly fine too. Though I see your point in giving haggle room for yourself. Though what I think OP is trying to mention is people who have a part or PC that is only worth so much but they want much more than its value and refuse to haggle. Basically wanting to rip off or scam someone who doesn't know better.

As for selling whole PCs if it is a newly built PC I can see a price being charged that would cover value of parts plus a cut for actually building it (labour isn't free). Depending on the complexity of the build $50-100 is a good cut just like your example shows. Though for individual parts I would keep it within reason. For example if someone is selling a used GTX 970 and wants $330 or more for it then there is zero excuse for it. It performs about the same as an RX 570 which is now sold at about $120-$130 and the RX card can use freesync too while the 970 is too old to. I would not pay more than $100 for a used 970 these days assuming the card is in good shape.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube