add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD and HDD and feedback

SamDavid357

2 months ago

Can someone please educate me on SSD and HDD? What do they have to do with speed of a computer? And why should I get a SSD over a HDD and vise versa. Ive seen a 1tb HDD corsair blue and I wondered if its any good with my 500$ budget pc. This is my first time building a pc and I need all the feedback I can get. I will be using this pc for gaming only playing fortnite apex etc.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SamDavid357/saved/s3mk6h

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD and HDD are storage. A HDD is a mechanical affair with moving parts reading data off platters. A SSD is a type of flash memory, no moving parts. The SSD is faster in pretty much any scenario which is pretty nice from a user experience perspective, as every time you need to read from the disk is sped up by a factor of 5-10x.

Some people seem to think the difference only matters when loading Windows, programs, or games. But I prefer to think of it as the SSD is faster any time you need to read from the disk, which happens quite a bit. So it ends up creating a much nicer user experience once you've experienced it.

SSDs are cheaper than ever, more expensive then HDDs though. But I believe we're in the twilight years of the HDD, I don't see how they can get that much cheaper and as SSDs get closer and closer in price per GB there's just no way to make HDDs compete. I'm personally never buying an HDD again, and more and more people are going to be in my camp as time goes on.

And even staying at about $500 you could get a 250GB-500GB SSD and that would be pretty nice for you, I would recommend it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

^ i will say that HDs will still exist because they're cheap storage and they can scale up to 14+ TB, something that SSDs cannot do as of now,

but for people who don't do photo shop, or video editing, then its best to get a 500GB+ SSD

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

People always seem to get stuck on this boolean of whether things are relevant or not anymore. HDDs have a place, they're not wholly a niche product yet, but their market is shrinking. Their price advantage is drying up. They can't compete on performance. User demand for tens of TB of space is definitely niche/edge case (and there's no technical reason SSDs can't be 10's of TB aside this is a cost/demand). And once multi-TB SSD's get under $150 dollars, 1TB SSDS are in the $75 range and that starts to be pretty affordable and meet the needs of a very large majority of users. HDDs will still be around, but it will be a niche product for a lot of people. After all you can still get Zip disks and 3.5" floppies today too, but the people who still buys those products have very specific needs. HDDs are headed that way. It's only a matter of time and we're much closer to that than HDDs being the most common thing for C: drive on a new PC.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

So can you edit my build for a good cheap SSD, I want the SSD to be 1tb you can remove the HDD.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

1 TB SSDs cost about 100-ish dollars

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin/saved/#view=hkK3t6 A little bit cheaper

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin/saved/#view=zPW3t6 A little bit nicer.

A 1TB SSD is still a smidge over $100. But it's worth it in my opinion. Otherwise settling for a smaller SSD + a 1TB HDD is still viable for the smallest budgets.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube