add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time building

TheHappyOranges

7 months ago

Hey, so I'm starting to get my pc parts https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XnLvr6 and this is going to be my first time build so I'm wondering if there should be any tips I should know before starting to put everything together, thank you in advance!

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

When you have everything connected, walk away, take a break for a while, then come back and re-check that all the cables go where they should and you haven't left anything out.

Then power it up.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Start with installing the CPU, ram, M.2 first into the motherboard before installing the motherboard into the case.

Do all your cables last for easier cable management.

Don't be afraid to watch a youtube how to build video to walk you through the build as you build if you are not fully confidant.

If you are afraid of breaking something as you build a PC watch this video first: https://youtu.be/CDUZRNp4pxg

Also the thermal paste that comes with that cooler works fine, at most it will be a degree or so from high end aftermarket thermal paste. Save yourself a buck and you dont need to buy extra thermal paste now.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

and what if someone also has a custom water cooling loop to install? how would the installation order go?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't recommend a first time builder try and tackle a custom water cooling loop in the first place. Also I saw an AIO in OP's part list so I am rather sure he is not doing a custom loop. Custom loops also need to be maintained and are a lot more work to deal with.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I know. I was asking for myself cuz I’ll soon start my very first pc build

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if you wanted to know the build order for a custom loop then here are some tips:

Test things like GPUs on the stock coolers first to ensure no defects. If the CPU comes with a stock cooler try that too. Can be test run outside the case sitting it on the motherboard box.

Install waterblocks before putting the hardware in the case. Try to imagine where all the tubing will go for the full loop before you start cutting anything. It is helpful to add a T fitting at the lowest point and highest point with valves so you can use that to drain and clean the loop.

Wash out any new waterblocks and radiators to ensure no debris left behind to ruin the pump. I would recommend to stay away from pastel or cloudy style colours as the fine particles tends to settle out and clog things. Red is also nearly impossible to get out. I had a nightmare with a friend's loop where I had to fully take apart the CPU and GPU block and clean out those micro fins from all the crud his fluid dumped in them.

The only order to really pay attention to is reservoir to pump so when you fill it you can ensure the pump doesnt dry run. Other than that where the radiator or any water blocks are does not matter.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool thanks

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend installing the GPU last, every motherboard iv'e worked with has the tiny wires for the audio, LED buttons and such at the very bottom and once a GPU is installed theyre hard to reach/read.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You may want to attach your PSU cables to the PSU before installing it (at least 24 pin). I had a hell of a time trying to connect the 24 pin cable to the PSU with it installed.
Also - if installing bottom fans - you may want to make the mobo connections first - prior to those fans.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Can a staff move this to the right section? Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube