add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Migrating Windows

13jonesb

6 months ago

I've just got an SSD, my only question is, should i just reinstall windows on it, or try and transfer it across from my HDD, along with stuff like discord? thanks

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

If your SSD is large enough to clone your HDD/Partition I'd say do that unless you have a specific reason why you shouldn't (like your current Windows install is falling apart). If you mean something else by "transferring", which is implied because it seems like you're thinking about moving programs around piecemeal you might want to specify.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Basically for windows and then discord

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if you want to keep it simple, you either clone the drive or you install from scratch. Seems like you'll be doing the latter.

I mean you can do what you want more or less, but the cloning utilities provided by SSD manufacturers aren't going to cut it, and you can't just copy and paste the Windows folder like a SteamLibrary and expect it to work. And any software with the features you'd specifically require to do what you want would probably cost money. And given how quickly you can install Windows and Discord (on a SSD) it doesn't seem like it would be worth the fuss.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I always clone the drive unless I have issues that cause a need to reinstall. I use clonezilla and have used others with few issues, just did a ssd from a hdd with clonezilla, for some reason had to use an older version to get it to work. Clonezilla live from USB. Some times you have to run a utility for a boot issue but otherwise can be up and running pretty fast with all your stuff just like it was. I would recommend you change your partition sizes in windows if you need to, not in the clone process. Moving program stuff around manual or partitions outside of windows is very easy way to make a mess.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube