add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
eman1000

8 months ago

Hi, I've completed a parts list and now I just need an OS. Is it as easy as buying windows 10 home 64-bit from newegg or google express? Thanks in advance

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes, it is very easy.

If you don't want to wait for a USB stick to be mailed to you and you have a spare one laying around, download the installer from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, then use it to create installation media on your USB stick, a step-by-step is laid out at the link.

Then either buy a key directly from Microsoft, or go with a legit retailer like Newegg. I recommend buying direct from Microsoft unless you have a Newegg/Amazon giftcard you're planning on using, the price is the same everywhere. If you're looking to buy just the license key and don't need the installer again, make sure you get one marked as a digital purchase, I've bought Windows licenses from Newegg and they just email you the key.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

In addition for OP: Get a retail, not OEM key.

Also USB is often the same price so if you can wait you get a neat little USB stick you can reuse. I think mine was 16GB.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube