add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 Pro not activated wanting to activate

traffic-zombie

7 months ago

Hi

I have windows 10 pro installed on my new build but it is the unactivated version with the water mark on the corner.

I want to get an activated version now as I wish to do things you can do until activated (like add new fonts for example).

I have looked on the windows web site and the Pro version is £219.99 and the Home version is £119.99.

I have a few questions if anyone could help;

1. Can I download and buy the Home version and install it 'over' the pro version I have now
  2. What is the difference between Home and Pro
  3. Is Windows the best (safest and cheapest) place to buy the full version, as I see other places sell them cheaper (for example https://www.cclonline.com/product/184303/KW9-00139/Operating-Systems/Microsoft-Windows-10-Home-64-Bit-DVD-OEM-/SFT0634/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-R4Rnj3ECoKqCzeN1DMoQPw)

Naturally I want a 'genuine' version and not these $5 keys....

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

there is an option under activation in settings to change the product key.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You should buy the keys direct from Microsoft, nowhere else. Yes, pay full price.

Pro has some features regarding virtualization and domain logins that aren't useful to most end users.

I think you would have to completely re-install Windows to change versions.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Also, Pro comes with Bitocker. Basically File Encryption, but you have to activate it for the files you want to encrypt.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft provides a comparison chart for the two versions. Essentially, the Pro version benefits businesses more than us regular plebes, so you can get by with the Home version no problem.

Also, I applaud you for wanting to go the honest route and not buy the low-cost, possibly stolen, keys. Paying full price will be worth it. I would suggest just going straight to the Microsoft website and buying it straight from them, if you don't trust other websites. Otherwise, just look here in PcPartPicker for the different listings for the OS.

I'm sorry. As for your question, you CAN install over whatever OS you have at the moment, but you just won't have THAT OS anymore.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube