add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MacOS/Win10 Dual Boot: One drive, two partitions, possible to use NTFS on one and HFS+ on the other?

LeMonarque

3 months ago

Hey all! Been a while since I was last active here.

I'm a professional videographer and I'm looking at turning my desktop into a Hackintosh in order to start using Final Cut Pro X.

I don't want to give up Windows 10 because I use it for other things, so what I'd like to do is partition my boot drive with HFS+ as the file system for the macOS partition.

Is it possible to run NTFS and HFS+ on one drive as long as the file systems are on separate partitions?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure. Back in the day you'd run NTFS and fat32 if you were dual booting Windows 2000/XP and Win98.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I am glad i am not the only one who remembers thoses times, i did have a dual boot windows 98/2000 machine, and i even had a quad boot system with windows 98/2000 and Mandrake/Redhat, I do not remember if Mandrake was the name of that linux distro, but something like that.

I dont even remember how i pulled it off, but i remember having to use 2 hard drives to do it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Software > Operating Systems".

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You might get better, more detailed help on /r/hackintosh, but yes, you can dual boot NTFS and HFS+/APFS on the same system. I'm not sure what order you should install them though, I would assume you should install Windows first and then MacOS/Clover so you can avoid any boot issues or Windows messing with the EFI partition/clover install.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD or Intel?

• 3 months ago
  • 0 points

Hey man, nice to see that I'm not the only one who is a cinematographer/videographer and also wanted to install Hackintosh for Final Cut Pro X. Bro I'll suggest you to not to dual-boot the windows + Hackintosh otherwise your system will get a lot of load from the hardware. It's quite possible to dual-boot the Windows + Hackintosh but you will face a lot of problems while troubleshooting the bugs.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any examples of these problems?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube