add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best way to win10 on new PC?

pcbldragain

3 months ago

So I made a new win10 USB to load my new PC when I complete it, I read you can load that and get it working then buy a license from Microsoft or known retailer. I do not want OEM windows or any future issues upgrading hardware/software. Is this the best way to do it, did I miss anything here?

I made an iso then used that rufus thing to make the usb.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

That works, probably easier to just download the media creation tool directly from Microsoft and load it on a USB stick: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You are correct, you can install and boot into Windows before activating it. Obviously you will go for the full retail key over the OEM, just buy a "digital" copy of Windows 10, you will be provided with the license key, usually via email, instead of having to wait for a USB stick or CD that comes with the installation media you don't need.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I was unsure of the best way. I read some pages and went to MS and at the end I chose make ISO instead of USB. So now I have that ISO for a backup and then made the USB local with rufus and the ISO. Just looking best/easy way to load it up when I get the last few parts and finish it. Some said install win10 and make sure you have no problems with your new hardware, then go get your license. I will not have a dvd in this at first. Many said the USB from MS was junk or did not work or was an ancient version, said get your own USB and make it yourself.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that all works just fine, you can use the USB to install Windows. First boot should be without the USB stick plugged in so it goes into the BIOS/UEFI, make sure all your hardware is detected/working there, then shut down, plug in the USB stick, start up and select boot from USB device, and the installer takes care of the rest.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Great! Thanks for clarifying. Not wanting to run into issue on OS install in case I missed something. Now to just get a motherboard that is all I need to fire it up.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you can try/use windows before activating it but will need activated windows to get all the features working. If you are new on windows then I would suggest you to use KMS Pico to activate your windows and use all the features freely and when you are fully satisfied with windows then you should purchase a genuine Product Key to activate your windows for the lifetime.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I will check it out. Have another PC here that is win10 but it came oem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube