add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Category search fixed / improved

philip

7 months ago

We received a number of bug reports on our category search. In many instances, it was returning back blank results when it shouldn't have - particularly on searching plainly obvious things like "EVGA" or "MSI" in the video card category.

I just rolled out a fix a few minutes ago that should resolve this issue. Long story short, we had a traffic spike back in November that hammered our category search. Performance issues with that almost brought the site down, so in the moment I rolled in some query caching for the search terms. At the same time I scoped the caching incorrectly, which caused it to match cache terms too broadly. The blank result pages were caused by pulling blank results out of the cache when that result should have only matched to a different query. So that's fixed now, and search should be back to normal now (while hopefully still snappier as the cache is still in, just generating proper cache keys now).

Some of the keyword matching is still not ideal. There are definitely improvements that can be made. I'll be putting that on our roadmap for the coming months.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

ay nice

all you gotta do now is make it possible to sort by name or date posted in the forum, and search in specific forum threads too

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

YAY! Now I can type 2060 instead of having to use the mouse and click it!

Meanwhile, I am having a problem. Merriweather is gone. I just see Times New Roman. Can you fix it??

Bob the Builder: Yes I can!!!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

YAY

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube