add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Another Question About Windows 10 Moving

DiceyIsNotDead

4 months ago

I know that this question has been asked probably two hundred times but any help would be cool.

I want to know if I move an SSD with windows 10 on it onto an entirely different computer, will it deactivate the license. I'm scared I might have to buy another USB. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be fine if you aren’t using an OEM license

and sometimes you can be fine with OEM, Windows is weird

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

*You can check for yourself by reading your own MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS in your current system.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on whether the Windows license you use is OEM or not.

OEM licenses are linked to the BIOS chip of the motherboard they were first installed in, and poll the hardware. Any changes from the hardware configuration when the license was first installed (say, a new GPU or an upgraded CPU) are logged in the license, and if something changes too suddenly (you replace all your PC parts over the course of a day, one by one, or move your install drive), it'll register the change as being a new computer and deactivate the license. In that case, you would need to buy a new license.

if your Windows license is not OEM, you'll be able to move it as many times as you want, so long as you link the product key to your Microsoft account. The license will poll your Microsoft account once your PC receives internet,

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

hol up

Whats an OEM?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM is a version of Windows designed to be locked to one computer, not moved. It's installed on 99% of Windows laptops and pre-built desktops. You can find out what version of Windows you have in the Control Panel, under the System Overview page.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Oohhhhh. Thank you. That's cool. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube