• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

kitters 6 days ago

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been here. I built this pc years ago when my needs were very different. Now, I am wanting to see if I can put a video card in it that will allow it to run Overwatch. Being able to run other games would be a bonus. I imagine I would need to update the power supply, so looking for suggestions on that too. Would I be able to slap a RX 580 in here and be okay, or would I need something older/more specific? Video cards have never been my forte. The build list is below. Thank you in advance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - A8-7600 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor -
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-L9a 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler -
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard -
Memory G.Skill - Ares Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-2133 Memory -
Storage PNY - CS2111 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive -
Case Corsair - 250D Mini ITX Tower Case -
Power Supply SeaSonic - 360 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply -
Optical Drive LG - UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $59.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $59.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-17 12:51 EDT-0400

Comments Sorted by:

mahranaka 1 point 6 days ago

Yes you can! Consider taking a look at the GTX --50 Series like the GTX 750Ti (which I have atm and can handle overwatch without any problem) or even the rather newer GTX 1050Ti which is as low as 100-150$ atm. The 1050Ti draws 75W at max so your PSU should be able to handle it but you could think about getting a better one. Keep in mind that the GTX--50's dont even need their own power connector, they draw the Power directly from the Mainboard.

kitters submitter 1 point 6 days ago

Oh nice! I'll definitely be taking a look at those cards. I appreciate it! Do you know if the size of the card would be an issue for the case?

mahranaka 1 point 5 days ago

If you just look at the pcpartpicker product page of the case you linked into your build you can see that they fit a rather large card in there. What you can do to make sure is adding the card you chose to your pc partpicker build and it should automatically tell you. Otherwise you can also go to the manufacturer page for your case and find out what the maximum supported graphics-card length is. they usually point that out in the technical specs. Just compare that to the length of the graphics-card you chose and you should be fine. Taking a look at the most common 1050Ti's i just saw that they are mostly well below the maximum length of 290mm your case supports.

With a youtube search like this you can find many videos that show the performance of a PC with the CPU you already have + a GTX 1050Ti: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gtx+1050+ti+a8+7600++overwatch

kitters submitter 1 point 5 days ago

I totally realized I could do that after I asked haha. And you're right, so that's a relief.

I don't know why I didn't think of looking it up on YouTube. That was very helpful, thank you!