• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

GingaMilla 6 days ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/GingaMilla/saved/TpmyXL

This is what I currently stand with. Not 100% on some of the parts specially the motherboard as I am upgrading didn't know if to go for z370 or z390.

Not chose a power supply yet but thinking about going with a 650w.

RAM I selected I currently use so would that be sufficient with the upgrade or shall i look to buy new and better?

Any feedback and help is appreciated.

Edit - Also, i noticed these 2 at the bottom of the list;

• The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe-based M.2 drive, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

Does that mean using 1x m.2 will disable a sata port?

Comments Sorted by:

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 6 days ago

Last question first, if you use m.2 #1 you lose one sata port. If you use m.2 #2 you lose two sata ports. If you use both you lose 3 sata ports.

If you are going with the 8700K, either Z370 or Z390 is fine. You can do a BIOS update on the Z370 (if needed) and it will then be able to run 9th-gen CPU's like a 9700K etc. As for RAM, what you have is a bit slow, but what I would do is go ahead and use it, and try to push the memory speed a bit. If you can get it to 2400 or 2666 it's probably not worth replacing. If you can't push it at all, it's still not worth replacing unless you find a really good deal on faster memory (say, 3000 MT/s or better).

550 watts would be plenty for this setup.

GingaMilla submitter 1 point 6 days ago

Thanks for that information and clearing a couple of things up! To be honest finances are not a problem so if needs be I can get better RAM down the line or even from the start as i'll be selling my old parts once upgrading so not going to lose much money.