add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Swapping cpu, motherboard, and hd. How do I keep windows licence?

Sarcasticat727

4 months ago

So I am thinking about swapping out my CPU, motherboard, and hd for a ssd. I know I am going to have to reinstall windows and everything but I don't want to pay another 100 bucks for a new license, so how do I free up the license on my old system before gutting it and replacing it with new parts? Can I use the same USB as before to install windows? I also noticed a little code on the box my USB came with that says that if I ever want to transfer my windows license to a new PC I have to use the code.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the link. Very helpful.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Swap out everything, download a new ISO, and then reuse the code (speak to MS)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's windows 10 and you have a Microsoft account linked to your license, you can just sign into the acct on your new install and it automatically activates it for you. that's what I've done a few times

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube