add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Good Linux Distros?

SafyreLyons

4 months ago

Hey I am looking for a new Linux distro. The one I had (Fedora) was not suiting my needs. Not saying it is bad, just I do not like the Gnome interface, even with my edits with Tweaks. I am looking for a simple OS. I was thinking of using elementary for my laptop, but I need a bigger USB as the ones I have are both 1 GB each and while I work on getting one I thought I should ask for some good Linux distros. I already worked with Ubuntu, AntiX, Lubuntu, Kali (which I think I might go back to sooner or later), Fedora, and Trisquel Sugar (WHICH I HATED). Looking forward to some good suggestions from the public. Going to use the best option for my main PC.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

Use Arch linux, soon you will begin to have a strange desire to share literally everyone you meet why Arch is superior to Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. Waiting for better game compatibility to move it over to my daily driver.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Arch Linux if you feel like you have sufficient enough knowledge to set it up (or use a YouTube tutorial lol)

Otherwise, maybe look here

I use Proxmox on my main machine now (lol)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been using opensuse with KDE for some years now. I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a distro?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Linux Mint is well-regarded. You could also try bare Debian, which offers a choice of UI frameworks at installation (Xcfe4 isn't too bad).

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Gonna spout a really unpopular (actual unpopular) opinion here: Arch has nothing to do with how much knowledge you have. All the documentation is there so you can just learn what you don't yet know anyway. It's just a matter of how much patience you have.

It's why I use Ubuntu flavours (without Unity/Gnome 3) these days, I just don't care anymore. I consider myself a technical user and I still get along relatively well with it. Although I keep switching desktop environments, but that's a different story. PPAs still exist if you want updated packages, and you can always compile stuff from source if there's some package you like which isn't there. I tend to prefer Debian-based stuff because Ubuntu's popularity means that most closed-source software (read: Steam) and documentation is going to be made for it.

Anyway, that and Antergos (Arch with an installer and some allegedly user-friendly tweaks) are the only distros I've tried lately.

A new one I've heard of is Solus which sounds interesting, although it seems fairly new so support might be a bit ehhh.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have used Solus and even though it is not perfect it works. Service is still eh but they do have decent enough service.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube