add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Disabling the mobile version of the site

philip

9 months ago

Hi everyone,

In just a bit I'm going to be disabling the mobile version of PCPartPicker. Here's why.

We're working on a new site for building your own bike. Basically a PCPartPicker for cycling (road, mountain, etc). For this new site, we've redone the design and layout - it uses a new responsive layout. That means that it adjusts its layout with varying window sizes. The responsive layout is better for the site because it provides consistent functionality, look, and interaction across desktops, tablets, and phones. In a nutshell, it brings parity of the desktop experience to mobile.

Our goal in the short term is to migrate PCPartPicker to use the responsive layout as well. My hope is for that to happen within the next month or two. When that happens, you'll notice some additional functionality come in with it that I think you'll like - mainly tied to the responsive layout being able to better use larger display screen widths.

Some changes for the responsive design require refactoring how we render part lists. Some of that code is fairly complicated, and was split in two already for different handling between PCPP desktop and mobile sites. Now with the responsive layout on the horizon there are three different ways it is being done. With PCPP moving to responsive and removing the mobile site, that allows us to only need to maintain one code path for rendering.

We're at a stage where our cycling site is close to going public. We could retrofit our old mobile code base, but it'd be a week or two worth of dev work and testing that will just be thrown away when PCPP goes to the responsive layout. Since we anticipate that happening so soon, it's more efficient for us to just disable the mobile site for a short period.

I know some of you use the mobile layout quite a bit, and that switching to the desktop layout on a mobile device won't be the best experience. I apologize for the inconvenience, and ask that you be patient with us while we get this site prepped and ready to go on a soon-to-be better mobile/responsive experience.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 12 points

Mobile app?

Sounds gucci

• 9 months ago
  • 7 points

I was wondering why it suddenly changed to the desktop site. Responsive layout sounds exciting. Also, wasn't there a search function on mobile before? I've been searching for parts for ages. I mean it wasn't catagory specific but it was still there. Maybe only on my browser or something? Anyway I'm excited to see PC features on the mobile site. =D

• 9 months ago
  • 4 points

I can't wait for the new mobile version! Search bar, posting completed builds...... AWESOME!!

• 9 months ago
  • 4 points

I was annoyed about the desktop layout on my phone when I didn't know what was going on.

Read this. Now I'm happy.

Take your time and do it how you want it. Don't let us rush you. Maybe I'm British so I deal with frustrating things like this a bit better but overall I'm sure I'll manage in the meantime. Good luck on the coding. I never really liked web development much. xD

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

so with this change will you be adding more content/parts? or at least a bigger variety of them? such as custom cables and etc? or is it purely functional/aesthetical changes

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

We won't be adding additional part categories with this change. Those are usually separate from UI changes (unless the part category requires a UI change).

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like the latter to me (purely functional/aesthetical changes), I don't see where it says more parts will be added.

When that happens, you'll notice some additional functionality come in with it that I think you'll like - mainly tied to the responsive layout being able to better use larger display screen widths.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

I hope it comes back soon the mobile pcpartpicker site is the homepage on my phone as well as computer... Anyway have loved the site for years keep up the good work PCPP team, and thank you for making such a great website.

• 9 months ago
  • -2 points

It comes back In a couple months. Be patient. I'm sure you can deal with the desktop version on mobile for a little while.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you for the post. I had wondered why it stopped.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Will there be a dark mode for both sites? (Like the bike building site (BPP or CPP), Mobile PCPP, and regular PCPP?)

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

With the difficulty of using mobile, since it’s all I can use at the moment, please (for the love of god) implement mobile responsiveness [correctly] using Flex Grid. It would be a shame to be using outdated web standards when the rest of the web development world has been moving forward.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I actually have been using the desktop layout on mobile already for at least several months, if not a few years. With mobile layouts I'm not able to fit nearly as much on the screen at once as I want.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Ah! So that's why! I normally browse PCPP with a PC but since it died on me, i was forced to use it on my phone, then suddently it became unusable, so i switched for tablet (which surprisingly, works really well).

I know some of you use the mobile layout quite a bit, and that switching to the desktop layout on a mobile device won't be the best experience.

Actually, that's what i was using for my phone (iPhone 4S); was using the desktop layout and worked 85% of the times pretty good, if you ask me.

Alrigth then! I'm looking forward for these upcoming upgrades! :)

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good, although I do hope we get to see a search button on mobile.

It’s annoying to be looking for a part in a parts list (ie RGB) and having to request the desktop site to use search.

• 9 months ago
  • 7 points

With the responsive layout, it won't be a desktop vs mobile site thing. It's the same site, just the layout shifts around to handle the different screen sizes. The same desktop functionality will exist on the smaller screen sizes and layouts, just in a way that conserves the screen real estate better.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Well rip PCPP mobile

• 9 months ago
  • 4 points

It's coming back, better than before.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Well what I mean is, PCPP will no longer have a dedicated mobile site

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

On mobile the responsive site will render as if you were on a mobile site.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

I take it this means we won't be getting a dedicated PCPP app, as there won't really be a need for it now?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

):

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps one day. But think about it this way: Us launching an app means we now have to maintain two different codebases every time we want to add a feature, redo a UI layout, etc. And with the website, if we want to change it we just do it and everyone gets the latest on the next page load. But with an app, now we have to maintain backwards API compatibility for any apps that people have on their phones but haven't updated. Also, when there's a bug in the site UI, I fix it and push it live sometimes in minutes. For apps it can take weeks for fixes to go through the app store approval process. In a nutshell, an app needs to have a very compelling use case that the site doesn't solve in order to justify its considerable extra development cost.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes! Not much wrong with the mobile version tho, but it surely has its limitation, and the desktop version is almost impossible to use on a phone.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

They wanted to change it because they thought it was necessary now they have been working on a new website and seen the differences. So even if there isn't anything wrong with the previous version of the mobile UI, it's always nice for a change. I'm sure they can revert the change if things go drastically wrong.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually sue the desktop version on mobile, in chrome it’s not that hard and gives you all the features you need.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have a large phone than it will be easier, but I have a relatively small phone.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Why didn't you just leave the mobile version up until the changeover to responsive layout was done?

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Read it again

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Our old mobile site used code and layout templates that would need to be migrated. To support the new layout we're refactoring some of the internal architecture. We could retrofit the old mobile site into that architecture, but it'd be throwaway work delaying the responsive layout (and our cycling site) when we replace it with the new layout very soon.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it be possible to include gasoline / electric motors to the site to convert bikes to motorbikes? Could be a cool to have a source where you could build green lower impact motorbikes. I know I'd want one.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know about gasoline, but electric might be something we put on the long term road map. Electric hub compatibility, etc. If so though it'd be a long, long ways out.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if it takes a while it would still be neat. I was thinking gasoline as in like a 50cc motor, but I could see why you'd want to stick to electrics. Hope your new site goes well. Sounds like there's decent potential there.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Well RIP the mobile-friendly version of PCPP

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

For a short period. It'll be mobile friendly again soon - only this time with feature parity with desktop.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait so what do these bikes have to do with PCs?

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Very little. But the cycling site shares a lot of common infrastructure - product modeling, product category browsing, filtering, pictures and pricing, building part lists, etc.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Will there be images of the product in this new layout, because I think adding images to desktop mode would be a great improvement

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

There will. Here’s a screenshot of the bike site with hover on the product thumbnails. https://i.imgur.com/QVCe07l.png

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

A bike building website? Count me in!

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

No... I already have an expensive PC-building hobby, now you're going to get me into bike building too?!

Sounds fun!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually remember you bringing this up last year, glad to hear its coming.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you make a part picker site for cars? That would be awesome but probably 10x harder than for a pc.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey did you all disable custom parts again? My entire custom part list for the build I'm working on just disappeared.

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Doh! That's my fault - let me fix that up real quick.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

LMBO ok LOL

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Ok should be fixed now. Sorry about that!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol no worries

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I only noticed it because I ordered some of the parts from the list and wanted to mark them as purchased. LOL

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Great stuff!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

When I view my saved parts list on mobile, I can no longer select one of my lists / builds. It just brings up a handle to reorder the list names. Can this be fixed?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhh that explains it :)

Awesome!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't wait to see the Stylish theme reverting everything back.. But seriously, thanks for the work that you guys do for this community! Can't wait for the new updates ;)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, glad I found this.

I was about to destroy my phone settings trying to get the mobile version to show up. lol

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Just out of curiosity, have you guys thought about developing a mobile app? I would love to play around with builds on an app instead of in a browser...

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

BPP Bike part picker?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

When will the mobile version be back. I miss it more than I miss my kids that Karen took. P.S this is just a joke do NOT! Take this seriously.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

As soon as we can finish it up. Been working on it all day.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow! I wouldn’t think a staff would respond but awsome looking forward to having mobile mode back.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there still no mobile version or is my chrome settings messed up?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thought it was just me. It is very annoying trying to switch between lists right now on a phone. It keeps trying to move lists up and down instead of selecting one.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the bike building website called?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

We haven't announced it publicly yet - probably in a week or two.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

What are the programming languages used to build pcpartpicker

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh my god please tell me you’re adding track bikes and other single speed components?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s on the roadmap but we’re trying to fill out the typical road/mtn sets first.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Can we get a site for water cooling

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for this post. I was starting to wonder if I'd gone mad, and whether mobile ever even worked. And was I zooming in and out on my phone building pc parts lists for hours in the past and just never noticed!?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohh so that's why On mobile suddenly we have the Desktop version, I thought my browser wasn't identified as a Mobile browser. Well hopefully the Mobile version comes soon. For some reason in my phone when checking my saved part list, i cant choose other parts list i click on them nothing happens, well sometimes it does works but rarely.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Any inkling for when the new responsive layout is going to be rolled out?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

A week or two.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I hope that you guys will be inclusive to e-bikes and include options for motors and batteries for this new site!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So that's why the mobile site doesn't work. :p

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

Actually, I largely prefer the old desktop site on mobile... Because you can actually see everything.

Now? I see literally nothing. https://imgur.com/a/aMh4iQV

HUGE downgrade for mobile use. This isn't usable at all. I'm not going to be able to use this site on my phone anymore, and that's a huge bummer.

Please give us the option to go back...

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube