add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to migrate from old pc to new pc

leyo

8 months ago

Hello,

I started the journey of building my first pc two weeks ago, with the help of this community (thank you really much) I decided the road to take, what hardware to buy, how to approach this build. As the day passed and more parts were getting at my house I knew it was time to address my biggest fear, so I'm here once again, writing a post to ask for your help.

HOW THE F**K DO YOU MIGRATE FROM ONE PC TO A NEW ONE?

I want to transfer all my programs, all my propgrams settings, all my windows settings and of course all my data but that's the easiest part.

Is there anything like there is Timemachine on mac?

I'd want even my desktop icons to be in the same order, my start menu, everything.

I have an external Hard drive to use.

Help me please and thank you!!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows has a migration tool for these types of issues, also check your HDD/SDD manufacturer they also have tools to help. if you are moving a licensed copy of Win10 keep the product code in case you need it.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Clonezilla would be another tool to use for cloning...maybe not as user friendly though as some.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I used Clonezilla live on a USB, use their tool to build the USB, then boot from it. Its best if you can put old and new drive in one machine then clone old to new drive its faster than external. Don't forget what drive is what of course. The partitions of old drive need to be same or smaller than new drive, then in windows you can expand them once you boot on new drive. Sometimes you have to run a disk utility to fix the drive ID or boot area etc., to make it boot. If you clone the entire drive you can clone the boot and everything, and it should work like the old one I've done it a few times including to a SSD the last time. The last one was win7 PC a month ago and it would not work the clonezilla prog would not fully boot, finally dug up an older version of clonezilla and it worked fine. Not sure why, but you can put any version into their USB tool. I ran a windows util to rename the old drive and it is still in there for storage. Long as you select your old drive to read only and not write to it, you can't really screw up the old drive will not be changed. I used DriveimageXML a long time ago successfully.

You can also make an image, so you could put the drive in a machine with a huge drive or external and image your old drive, then put the new drive in and lay that image back on the new drive. Can back up drives that way too, the image is just a clone stuck in a file. I usually clone one drive to another, and I don't use any outside partition tools on it that often makes windows angry. If you clone/image only a partition it may not copy the boot information. There is a lot of help stuff on their site, and its free. It is always a good idea to back up your data any time you mess with a drive or even when you don't.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube