add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Reusing old OS SSD drive for new OS build

aqua74

8 months ago

Situation, Decided to reuse my old SSD hard drive from my old mobo for my new mobo.

Moving from a Biostar N68S3B to a MSI 890FXA-GD70 board using same cpu. I currently have Windows 7 on the old SSD and will be using the same OS type on the new mobo.

Widows 7 was just recently installed on the Biostar SSD because I was upgrading into it and the GPU as well, Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB OC. Decided to go the extra mile and that's were the new mobo came into play.

Now...

What do I need to know and watch for?

Can I leave the current OS and just update bios & drivers on the new mobo?

Should I just make a fresh new install?

Do I need a new SSD?

What are the right step sequences to get this right?

Installing Drivers then OS or OS then Drivers???

I got everything set up and never got to power this thing up.

A few days ago I got a hold of an FX8350 CPU and replaced the old one onto the motherboard.

Powered it up and got no video on my monitor.

Video card fans never powered ON.

I thought it might have been my 430w PSU and replaced it with a 750w one that was laying around & cleared the CMOS by pulling the battery for 5 sec.

Same issue!

Mobo powers On, case fans are On, no GPU fans and on the motherboard itself , it has a LED digit code FF & there is also small red led on the HDD that synchronizes with the front panel led. I'm assuming this is normal?

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee65/aquariustiger/20190331_131914_zpsmvbcfedh.jpg

FYI...Decided to go with installing my old SSD HD with the previous old OS already installed. Was hoping to update everything once put together but with no screen, I'm stuck for now. ============================================================

Beginners realization! Just noticed that the customary pre-post beep that you're supposed to hear does not go off.

So I will try formating SDD HD and reinstall the OS and see what happens.

=============================================================

Weird & Stupid!

For some reason after I secured the CPU the 1st time with the clamp lever and all; rechecking things; found out that it was completely loose!...???

Another thing I've never had to deal with was the extra ATX 8 pin power connector.

Well, plugged that in as well and finally booted up!

Had to use MediaCreationTool1809 for Windows 10 OS using the USB drive method.

I feel like re-titling the title to, "Get Your Sh!t Together!"

Aaaaaand, ThankYouVeryMuch!..............................Seriously!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

What do I need to know and watch for?

What do you mean?

Can I leave the current OS and just update bios & drivers on the new mobo?

Yes.

Should I just make a fresh new install?

That's what I recommend doing.

Do I need a new SSD?

No.

What are the right step sequences to get this right?

If you aren't doing a clean install, just transfer it over to your new build and that is all. New drivers will be automatically installed by Windows. If you are doing a clean install, deactivate Windows and then activate it after installing Windows.

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-deactivate-windows-10-and-change-the-product-key/

Installing Drivers then OS or OS then Drivers???

Drivers will automatically install themselves after installing the OS.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube