add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Win 7 with MB / CPU change, or Win 10?

badmrsnowman

9 months ago

I have Windows 7 on my current system, which is an i5-3450 with a Gigabyte B75 motherboard. We were going through scrapping some old (some REALLY old) computer systems at work, and one of them had an i7-3820 with an Intel DX79TO X79 motherboard that i grabbed.

I've been Googling the process of swapping out the processor and MB and making sure Windows 7 still works, and I think I get the gist of it. Here's the thing, whether I use this i7 or not, I am likely upgrading the MB / CPU / RAM sometime this year, as well as switching to Windows 10. So one option is to install Windows 10 alongside this i7.

In anyone's opinion, or if anyone has experience with this, is it easier / safer to change the MB & CPU under Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 5 points

If you have the W7 licence key, do the hardware changes then do the upgrade. That way you won't have to buy a W10 key (probably). If you don't have the key, just upgrade to W10 but don't buy the key until everything is done, then buy the key.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, this is basically what I did. Haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet, but once I swapped the hardware around, I had no problems continuing to use Windows 7 OEM with different motherboard. It actually didn't even ask me to enter a product key or anything.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Depending on what you upgrade to you might want to be aware of: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11675/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-systems-supported

Anything later than 6th generation on Intel, Or anything AM4/Ryzen based is not compatible (without patches/modding/workarounds) with Windows 7/8.1 you will need Windows 10.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/microsoft-is-getting-ready-to-block-windows-updates-for-old-windows-on-new-chips/

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I installed a GPU then swapped to a SSD in a win7 PC, then I put a larger CPU (core2quad@$16) in it. Then it said you need to register your windows key in 3 days. So I found the license program thing and ran it and hit verify key or whatever,,,it thought a few seconds and said your key is good. This was a vista machine with a refurb install of win7 on we bought years ago. It has both keys on the case. It is just for browsing and works way, way better now. I have read that with a new PC in some cases you can use your old license and by calling MS sometimes they will let you activate win10, but no idea what requirements are. I actually have an old PC I'd like to do that with to get win10 on the one I'm building new, I need to see if its oem or not.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube