add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Z390 board with win 7

Punkyfish

4 months ago

Hi, everything is new apart from my HDD which has Windows 7 SP1 on it. Long story but if I was to boot it up with a new installation of Windows 10 to repair, ie keep all files and docs etc, would it work or would it go terribly wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be worth a shot. However you might want to reinstall and upgrade to windows 10 on an SSD.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, yes that’s the plan but I need to pull some emails off and other data first if possible. If ther is a chance that will totally muck it up I would rather leave it as a secondary drive. Really need those emails from outlook though and some other data. I do back up but obviously not enough this time.

Thanks for the reply.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean it’s a HDD so your going to leave it a second secapndsry drive allready ebacsue you have an SSD to cut boot times in half. I would backup your data first, then wipe it to get more space by removing windows.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m taking it you included an SSD in your new build, right?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I got one

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd do a clean install of Windows 10 on an SSD first, use that to pull off any data you need, and then wipe the old drive. I've had nothing but problems out of upgrade-in-place installs. Small SSDs are becoming quite cheap, so making the upgrade now to make the process easier makes sense in my opinion.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Will I still be able to get all of my data off the second drive? Should I put OS, anti virus and office on SSD and everything else on HDD? Is there a way of putting my docs etc when installing the OS onto the HDD? Thanks for the replies!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Yes. Set up the SSD first, then shut down, attach the HDD, and boot. You may need to change your boot order- that'll depend on your specific BIOS, but usually you would hit a key like Escape or an F key when booting, find your boot/storage settings, and select the SSD to boot to it.

2. Programs and OS on the SSD is the basic idea. Music and video can take up a lot of space and generally don't benefit from faster storage media, and documents don't take long to load anyway.

3. Yes. You can change your location of various folders- right click on a folder (like Documents), then click Properties. Go to the Location tab and click Move. Then you can create a folder on your HDD and move everything to it. You would do this after you have set up your SSD and wiped your HDD.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That’s great thanks for the help!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube