add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build OS installation

Punkyfish

4 months ago

Hi,

I have finally ordered all of the parts for my new PC but would like some help on setting it up when I get everything. I’ve never had SSD’s before. I already have a HDD with Windows 7 on that I don’t want to reformat yet as I need to get the data off first. My understanding is it won’t boot with my new motherboard.

I have bought this:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YCHqnH

How do I install Windows 10? I have downloaded an image from Microsoft onto USB but I read that you have to just have the SSD connected when you first boot up otherwise you get problems. Does this mean no optical drive connected either?

Also, what and how do I need to change in the bios to set my PC up ready to run? I read something about enabling XMP so the RAM runs at the correct speed also, do I need to change anything else?

All help gratefully appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

As for the XMP, you can do that pre-or-post OS installation, doesn't matter. Some people prefer to do it later once they've got everything functioning well without the XMP enabled.

You don't need to do anything in the BIOS before installing your OS, per se. Just put the thumb drive in, and it should boot up automatically when you turn on the PC. If it doesn't, then you'll need to look at the boot order, which is found in your BIOS, and make sure it's set to boot from the USB first (not likely to be necessary though, since the PC will have nothing else to boot from right now, it should do it automatically)

Once the USB is booted you just follow the prompts. OS installation will be smooth sailing.

Note: if the USB isn't recognized, try a different USB port. I was told sometimes USB 3 ports won't work until you've had a chance to update its drivers. So don't panic if that's the case.

ETA: whatever you read about just having an SSD connected, ignore that...you can do this when your whole PC is built. The installation will let you choose where to make your partition.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply and for the answer!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Can anyone help?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube