add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NVMe vs SATA ssd

KrystalFlame

9 months ago

I'm building a pc for gaming and schoolwork. Is it good to get a 250gb nvme and a 1tb sata ssd. I dont want a hard drive

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

... a pc for gaming and schoolwork.

In terms of value, solid state drive(s) with SATA would be more than sufficient.
Use of NVME would be a waste, unless dealing with large files frequently. e.g. video editing.

Reading material: Online-Tech-Tips

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

You would probably be better served by getting a second 1TB SATA SSD or upgrading to a 2TB SSD (depending on pricing) rather than getting an NVMe drive. Or putting that ~$70 toward other parts of the system.

NVMe likely would only be of synthetic benefit rather than actually noticeable benefit. So instead of spending that money on that extra speed, extra space to hold all your files and games would probably be more useful, or getting an RX580 over a 570, for example.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

So should I just get 1 1TB sata SSD to start and upgrade as I go

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

That's what I would suggest. NVMe drives have their uses but rarely in gaming or general computing.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a good option too.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Plain SSD SATA III is pretty fast far as booting and typical stuff. I bought a 480gb Nvme rated #2 in speed it was just over $90. I spent the extra because I plan to have this system a long time for variety of use, and that way my OS should be able to hang out there a long time before I have to mess with it. In my case extra $50 here or there for future proofing is worth it to me, your case it may not. I have no new games right now so saving with a 2400G I can upgrade later and no GPU card costs. So I got faster memory too which should benefit any CPU but especially the 2400G. But if you are getting a GPU card you will need to put a lot of your budget there you will have to cut corners, that will be the most important for gaming. I would probably go for a normal SSD and put the Nvme in later if the costs are higher for Nvme. If you have the budget then get it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube