• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

LegacyGroup 5 days ago

I'm looking to build a desktop-style server but I'm not opposed to a rack-mount as we have a nice Dell rack.

Required Specs:

Quad-core or better (dual CPU would be nice but I know it essentially doubles the price of the build)

16GB RAM or better (preferably leaving slots with room for upgrades)

2x Gigabit NIC

2x RAID 1 arrays

240GB SSD Raid 1

2TB HDD Raid 1

Budget:

~$700.00 - $1,800 (anywhere in between but preferably on the lower end)

Budget & Project & Parts list DOES NOT include software - I will figure that out myself once I get the hardware figured out.

Project:

We currently have 2 9-year old Dell servers running Server 2016 - one is a domain controller that does some minor file server functionality and the other is a file server. We have less than 20 total users for this server.

Load Server 2016 with Hyper-V directly on SSDs. Load new Server 2016 as virtual server. Run file server inside of Hyper-V, run domain control functions on the bare metal server.

Background: I've built many gaming PCs, some general use PCs and several design PCs. I am just not familiar with server processors, socket types, etc.

Comments Sorted by:

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 5 days ago

Here's a desktop version. I expect that you could do something similar with rack-mount but I'm not familiar with the options in the rack-mount world. Your requirements are pretty modest, actually.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - X470 Taichi Ultimate ATX AM4 Motherboard $258.79 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $179.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $67.95 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $67.95 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GT 1030 2 GB LP Video Card $79.98 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design - Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case $137.90 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1182.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-12 13:25 EST-0500

I tipped up the RAM and SSD sizes, feel free to dial them back if you want to. The motherboard has 1x 1Gbe and 1x 10Gbe, but the 10Gbe will run at lower speeds if you want it to. (The alternative for 2 ethernet ports in the X470 world would seem to be an add-on pcie card.) The 2600 CPU doesn't have onboard video so I added an inexpensive video card; there are cheaper ones, all the way down to a $40 GT710 if you like.

By the way, the Taichi claims to be able to run ECC memory in error-correcting mode; you might want to look at using ECC memory since it's a server. You'll probably be limited to DDR4-2666 or -2400, but that's not a huge problem for this build.

LegacyGroup submitter 1 point 5 days ago

This is perfect, thank you so much for all your effort.