add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Did I Choose the Wrong Power Supply (EVGA SuperNova G3 550W)

kageryu

9 months ago

Hi, Please take a look at my build and let me know if my chosen power supply is ok. I've already ordered it from PCOutlet (It's on the way), and I'm not sure if I can return it without paying fees. From looking at the PC Part Picker power calculator, 550Ws seemed plenty, but going on other sites, most recommend a 650W power supply with a RTX 2060. I do not plan on overclocking.

Here is the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fhp8cY

Thanks, Phil

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

You're good-to-go. 550W will be plenty, and EVGA G3 550 is a quality PSU. Also, Asus recommends at least a 500W PSU for this GPU, so you're good here.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I appreciate the confirmation.

When I used the Outervision calculator with a similar build (that site has more generic choices), it said my load wattage was 399W (vs 329 on PCPartPicker), and recommended a 600W EVGA 80+ Bronze. I wish there was an option on that site to select a power supply and see if it worked. Maybe there was and I just missed it.

• 9 months ago
  • 5 points

I wouldn't listen to power supply calculators. They don't source actually accurate power measurements, so it's all just estimates and number fudging anyway.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

damn cicero is soooooooooooooo smart

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

That recommendation for the 600W bronze is terrible. The 550 G3 you have right now is alot better.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

All PSU calculators tend to be conservative, but Outervision tends to overcalculate PSU needs more than others.

BTW, if you wanted to, the 550W PSU still has plenty enough power for "normal" overclocking of your CPU and GPU.

Have fun with your build!

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2600X isn't going to pull more than 150w short burst and that's probably 50% too high. The 2060, not sure, but let's say 300w with maybe a little more short burst. The rest of the build won't draw 50w. So you're looking at a worst case around 500+ watts briefly and 400, 450w continuous under extremely heavy load; and my guess is that if you hook up a wattmeter, you won't even see that much. 550w will be just fine.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again everyone. This makes me feel a lot better about my build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube