add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$300 PC for Light Games.

ssjg5rlly

3 months ago

Your guys thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $91.99 @ Walmart
Motherboard *ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $59.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Team - L5 LITE 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Case Rosewill - SRM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $19.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $16.00 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $327.75
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $297.75
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-08 11:11 EST-0500

Thanks!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

.Buy a used prebuilt with a 2nd or 3rd gen i5, 8GB of RAM, the PSU you have in your build, maybe a small SSD, and then spend the rest of the GPU (ideally used). Make sure it is not a SFF case though.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I second this.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I live budget builds like this!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, me too!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

it works, i guess

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

cool thanks

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

At that price point though wouldn't it just be more efficient to buy an xbox one?

Console, game, controller, Blue Ray player... 299.99.

I get it, PCMASTERRACE and all that, but... if we're being honest...

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I have both consoles, and to be honest, they suck in my opinion.

The forced controller playing blows and the games I play that DO support a keyboard have awful input lag and the mouse sensitivity is ****** up. Some game's controls are awful with a controller in my opinion, and I'm not buying Playstation Plus to play Apex Legends, Xbox Live to play a FREE game that you NEED to play online for.

You make a great point, but the only console I would buy at this point would be the Subor Z+, a Chinese game console with 4 Ryzen cores and 24 Vega CUs (3 times more than vega 8) and Windows 10 built-in.

And an SSD as a boot drive, not to mention.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, I'm with you. My xbox one has basically been handed down to my kids.

I guess my gripe is the whole $300 thing. I mean yeah you can do something with it, but you can do so much more with just a bit more in your budget.

You guys are right though, a budget is a budget and if you have to stay within it, then do what you gotta do, and happy ascending.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, I've already ascended. I only use the console for games I don't have on PC, other than that, with GeForce NOW, I play:

CS:GO

Paladins

Fortnite

Terraria

It's got a large list, I just hope the free beta lasts for a while. :)

Just looking for a PC that can play those games, even on low settings, at 60 fps.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

More games and also a lot of free ones, the convenience of having everything one system, upgrade potential, don't have to pay a subscription to play online etc...

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're targetting a $300 gaming build (light or otherwise), "upgrade potential" isn't likely high on your list of priorities as pretty much EVERYTHING else available is an upgrade.

I get your points about paying for LIVE or PSN (I'd forgotten about that tbh), and obviously the browsing experience is far superior on a PC, but one could certainly argue that the actual gaming experience could be better on a console at that price point. That was my argument.

Trust me, I'm not turning in my keyboard and mouse for a controller any time soon.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The upgrades to this PC are just things you add in. Graphics? Chuck in a GPU. RAM? Chuck in another 2x4 GB set. CPU? AM4 is supported until 2020 so you aren't getting anything outdated if you upgrade it. Storage? Chuck in more. The only thing that has to be replaced is the CPU and the majority of games don't even use more than 4 threads.

I guess the gaming experience on console could be better depending on who you speak to but if you want to start out PC gaming, it is definitely possible with $300

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Anything is possible, however I think that the OP could do themselves a favor save up an extra 50-60 and go with the 2400G.

You end up with multi threading, more frequency, more GPU, you get a little bit more of ALL the components that are pricey-er to upgrade.

Alternatively, making the jump to 16GB ram, since a portion of your system memory is going to be allocated to VRAM as there is none dedicated.

Either (or both) of those small upgrades should make a significant improvement on the system, however, when looking at the overall costs, were talking 351 (2400G only) or 381 (2400G + 16GB memory).

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems pretty good to me. Nice selection.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Good for a compact super-tight budget build, but the integrated Vega 8 graphics card in the 2200g may be a bit strained depending on the game you play. There may be better options to buy a prebuilt system and swapping out a piece or two. $300 won't get too far in any case, but for strictly building a PC, this looks pretty good!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice for light gaming.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

in all honesty, save up for R5 2400G. it can handle most games low-med at 60ish fps. totally worth it for budget builds like this.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably not the best option for the price (as the 2200G’s iGPU is not quite as strong as an entry level GPU). You’re probably better off getting a refurbished desktop, and throwing a GTX 1050/TI in it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB OC Low Profile Video Card $129.99 @ Amazon
Other Refurbished Lenovo Desktop (Intel Core i5 4th Gen 4570 (3.20 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 500 GB HDD Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit) $199.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $329.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-09 18:05 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube