• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

montusama 1 month ago

I am currently using an L501x as a desktop, and have been using it in this way for about 4.5 years. In terms of everyday performance my biggest issue is only 8GB of ram though I find the I5 (M460) sufficient as well as the Nvidia GT 420M. (I rarely game) The last desktop I built was for about $1,000 dollars with a Core 2 Duo (E6550 Conroe) processor back in 2008, and the last computer I built was as a NAS (Atom) back in 2014. I've been out of the component loop for awhile now! I've considered going with an Ryzen 2400G due to price and integrated graphics to tie me over until I am ready to drop the money on a worthy graphics card. My last desktop, by the time I stopped actively using it I believe had about five (5) hard drives in it. The goal in the future is to either buy a QNAP, Synology or build a robust NAS.

Current setup: L501x used as a desktop with multi external hard drive enclosures connected with a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Desired setup: Desktop with plenty of processing power, some gaming performance, 16GB ram (min), Blu-ray burner (Writer?), 1TB SSD/m2 (Boot/First Partition), Hard Drive (min 4TB), Motherboard with at least 6 SATA ports. I may add an expansion card for additional SATA ports or USB ports in the future.

Intended use: Watching anime, archiving linux isos, netflix, some light to moderate gaming, copying over 2,000 cd/dvds that have data on them from years past. (This is a pain to move from apartment to apartment)

Longevity: four to five years, want to focus on a solid case (light weight may be preferred), power supply, CPU, motherboard, and ram. Graphics is intended to be upgraded, as well as any additional RAM over 16GB.

Concerns: a Power supply that plays nice with PWDIS.

Budget: $600-800

Use (gaming, rendering, etc): Anime, Light to Moderate Gaming, Netflix

Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): None at this time

Operating System required: Required, outside of this budget. I may just use an existing Windows 7 key.

Comments Sorted by:

ImperiousBattlestar 3 points 1 month ago

Couldn’t quite make something OK at 800, is $900 justified?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard *ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $93.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $114.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $147.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $97.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card *PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $139.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Arc Midi ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $879.72
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-05 21:47 EST-0500
Dreadvolt 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

IMO - build something like this, without the 4TB HDD to start. And keep the 100 bucks in your pocket.

Save up another 60-100 over the next little bit, and then put in a 4-6TB 7200RPM HDD. Unless there is an absolute immediate need for obscene amounts of storage, I don't like seeing it take up so much of the budget.

Just my opinion.

montusama submitter 1 point 1 month ago

By the time I build this desktop, I'll probably have bought a few Easystores already. That was one reason why I'm concerned over PWDIS on the power supply. I rather not use an adapter or tape on the hard drive pins.

I can justify $900, the budget is primarily to keep myself from just adding things that I either don't need right now or just for show items (like RGB). I mentioned this to Mr Cool as well. I have two primary intents with this build, remove the haphazard approach that I currently have (using laptop as a desktop) and allow for future upgrades without having to essentially rebuild the desktop again. I was looking at benchmarks (specifically G3D Mark) and the RX 570 (6717) definitely blows my current GT 420 M out of the water (543) while the Vega 11 (2265) is far less than the RX 570 its definitely has more performance than the GT 420 M. This seems like a decent way save some money for something that I probably won't need for a while or at all.

The other parts seem to fit my needs. Thank you for your suggested build!

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I like Battlestar's build. If you want to save up front without a serious impact on performance, except for the GPU, you could swap the CPU for a 2400G and drop the discrete GPU. (Was that what you were talking about re the Vega 11?) I doubt that you would lose much with the quad core CPU given what you are doing.

The original idea to get the 2400G with Vega 11 but I after thinking about it at work, I don't think about going with the pathway is the best. As I mentioned to Mr Cool, I'm just cringing at the fact that I want to build a desktop and buy a NAS in the same calendar year. I have large storage capacity needs, especially with the desire to copy all of the data disc I have burnt over the years, copy everything from other hard drives (both older internal and external drives) as well as my current NAS.

fredointhecut -3 points 1 month ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP - EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $114.99 @ Newegg
Video Card PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $139.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $57.82 @ Walmart
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $797.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-06 22:10 EST-0500

Thank you for the suggested build! I'll look into the parts.

fredointhecut -3 points 1 month ago

downvoted, lol. this is the best build in this thread btw

ImperiousBattlestar 1 point 1 month ago

Why the poor case and completely unnecessary NVME drive?

fredointhecut -1 points 1 month ago

200R is good case actually, and storage speed is what he'd notice the most if everyday use is his intentions. Not only does the HP EX950 deliver chart topping speeds (https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8870/hp-ex950-ssd-review-want-fastest/index.html) it's also a lot cheaper than the sata 860 evo you picked.

ImperiousBattlestar 2 points 1 month ago

storage space is what he’d notice the most.

200r is good case actually

• The 200R was released in 2012, do you think a case released back then, which has poor airflow (getting air in through the side is the only proper way of moving air through the PC) and cable management (no proper way to show loose cables) is going to be an effective housing.
fredointhecut -2 points 1 month ago

so you’re saying op should get the slower more expensive drive, just because? The HP EX950 has the best results when it comes to noticeable everyday usuage, not just 10GB file transfers. There’s literally 0 reason to get A 860 evo over the EX950.

[comment deleted by staff]

... for something as simple as netflix and chill

Thank you for having faith in me! I haven't netflix and chill in ever...

My L501x is using DDR3-1333 and the speed of the ram is sufficient. If anything I regularly run out of physical memory. (I blame Firefox but CrashPlan was a culprit)

fredointhecut -1 points 1 month ago

not really but ok.

Hello! Thank you for the suggested build. I have two primary intents with this build, remove the haphazard approach that I currently have (using laptop as a desktop) and allow for future upgrades without having to essentially rebuild the desktop again. I was looking at benchmarks (specifically G3D Mark) and the RX 570 (6717) definitely blows my current GT 420 M out of the water (543) while the Vega 11 (2265) is far less than the RX 570 its definitely has more performance than the GT 420 M. This seems like a decent way save some money for something that I probably won't need for a while or at all.

The other parts seem to fit my needs.

The original thought was to get a 2400G (with the Vega 11) but it doesn't really save me that much money vs getting a regular CPU and a dedicated graphics card. I'm just cringing I guess that my future NAS will probably be around $3,000 total. My goal is to do both of these this year!