add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Want to build a computer for under $150

Kuykam01

10 months ago

I have never built my own computer and would like to do so but I am a student so funds are limited and id love some help thanks in advance!

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mbTvQZ : this is a part list i created, but is $35 over budget

if you are going to build buy that psu in the part list, as it is at a really good price right now (~$15 less than normal, and is decent enough so your pc won't blow up in your face)

and that case won't stay $19.99 for too long, as it will go up to like $26.57 or something like that sooner or later

if you get past that, you will need a) some sort of display (i.e. tv, monitor) and keyboard and mouse, in which case get this if you already don't have a keyboard or mouse: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w7Lypg/logitech-keyboard-920002565

you will have to use linux (i reccomend the mint or ubuntu flavors), as there is no way to afford windows on this kind of budget. You will have to download these from the internet onto a flash drive, then install on your pc (once you've assembled it )

also 120 gb is really small, so if you can spare like another $10, get the 250 gb version (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/btDzK8/kingston-a400-240gb-25-solid-state-drive-sa400s37240g)

if you have any questions, i will be happy to help

: )

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know why anyone down voted you but here is a +1. I like your attempt, that is not a bad list for the price.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks

: )

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really possible without going the used route and even then it will be difficult. raise your budget or get a prebuilt.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

$150 is a really low budget but if you know what you're doing + some patience it definitely is possible if you go the used route. I'd be glad to help if you're serious about it.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

check out the channel randomgaminghd and follow one of his builds for an ultra budget system

https://youtu.be/AKLL7PKRVvo

be careful on the used market though, it's the wild west.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Wild west? I've bought and sold numerous items on the used market what?

• 10 months ago
  • 0 points

it's not as regulated as buying new, just because you've had a good experience doesn't mean everyone will be the same. Especially if the video says he got items off the facebook market place. also you can not predict used market prices.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

it's not as regulated as buying new

What?

just because you've had a good experience doesn't mean everyone will be the same.

I, and NUMEROUS others have had good experiences lol

Especially if the video says he got items off the facebook market place.

That is part of the used market last time I checked

also you can not predict used market prices.

What is this even supposed to mean and how is this relevant?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

you're not seriously trying to argue that the used market place is as safe as buying new, because it's not and everyone knows that. You could buy dodgy hardware, you have to do your own checks and if you don't know that much about components you can easily be bamboozled into paying way more than you need to.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

You could buy dodgy hardware, you have to do your own checks and if you don't know that much about components you can easily be bamboozled into paying way more than you need to.

You can do that with new parts lol

Your points don't make sense... As long as you know what you're doing you'll be fine.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Buy used. Do not buy new as you will not get anything decent. You'll need a bigger budget for a better build.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The best build you will get for cheap. Even has modern CPU and Mobo.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

This.

The dell optiplex 390/790/990 will fit his budget.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube