• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Junaid96 3 months ago

Hello there, I’ve decided to invest some savings on a new desktop pc for graphic design. I plan on making this build my render machine for heavy renders on after effects, cinema4d and similar programs. Occasionally I might even play rocket league on it haha. But here what’s special about it. It needs to be a portable desktop. I will be often take it to school and spend the day there with it so a mid tower might be a bit of a problem to carry around. I’ve seen some very cool and compact microatx cases on here and if I can pack some good power on it it would be a beauty to work on it. So my only 2 restrictions are: - small case something like this maybe without the glass https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/QMp323/thermaltake-case-ca1d500s1wn00 - the budget is CAD 1500 (but wouldn’t mind saving on a cheaper gpu and buy a better one down the road per say)(so the budget is more like 1200) Thanks in advance!

Comments Sorted by:

Root_User 1 point 3 months ago

The V21 is actually quite large. In terms of volume and footprint, it's larger than my Corsair 400Q.

Is there any particular reason why you want a uATX build over a mini-ITX build? You could get something quite a bit more portable.

Junaid96 submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Oh really. The one I linked I like the shape of it. I don’t exactly know the term I just thought microatx would be the smallest. Obviously I don’t want to compromise too much on the power of it in order to have it really small. Just the form factor of the v21 looks like something I wouldn’t mind carry around.

Crofter 5 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

Another item to consider is whether you'll be using CPU or GPU based rendering. If you use rendering solutions such as octane, this scales very well with multiple GPUs. Mitx boards typically can only house one GPU. So loose upgrade option. If you can confirm which rendering solution you plan to use them we can look at a decent build for you.

Let's assume you use CPU based rendering, and need a decent Nvidia GPU for viewport, then this is worth looking at in mitx form factor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.00 @ Canada Computers
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler $49.00 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $169.99 @ Newegg Canada
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $285.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $87.24 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $61.99 @ Powertop
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card $289.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case $59.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $78.99 @ Powertop
Case Fan ARCTIC - Arctic F8 PWM 31 CFM 80mm Fan $5.99 @ Amazon Canada
Case Fan ARCTIC - Arctic F8 PWM 31 CFM 80mm Fan $5.99 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1424.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-15 05:57 EST-0500

Interesting! For this build i am going to stick with a single GPU due to budget restrictions. I can see myself building another full-size desktop once this current builds starts getting me the results i want. That future build will for sure be using octane and hopefully more GPUs. So finally, as a render solution i wasn't really aware that it's based on either CPU or GPU so as of experience I wanna say CPU. With other machines in the past I noticed higher render speeds when i jump to higher cores.

Might be worth looking at these hardware guides. Puget systems has a good number of useful resources to use as reference when building workstation based systems.

Octane GPU rendering: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-OTOY-OctaneRender-192/Hardware-Recommendations

C4D utilising CPU renderers: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Cinema-4D-166/Hardware-Recommendations

Moop1337 1 point 3 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $273.03 @ Amazon Canada
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $159.99 @ Amazon Canada
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $132.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card $357.38 @ Amazon Canada
Case Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case w/450 W Power Supply $172.99 @ PC-Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1206.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-15 15:24 EST-0500

Hey thanks for your time! I changed some things I hope they work:

I jumped on Ryzen 7 because I want the best i can get as CPU so that if in the future i ever plan to change or upgrade this build i won't have to change cpu too.

Motherboard looks good!

For RAM i will eventually go to 32gb just not right now in this moment. Therefore i think 1x16gb today and one later should do the job.

The ssd for storage looks good but i need an hdd as well, a 1tb should do for now.

GPU was not a very high priority for right now, so i downgraded to a 1050ti to save some money to spend on the cpu. Again one client job here another one there and i will be able to eventually replace this with a more powerful one.

I'm sorry i don't know why but i really hate that case lol. Looks portable enough but... just hate it sorry lol. I had problems finding one that small that can fit the ryzen 7 stock cooler. This node 304 mini itx should do the job and keep it compact enough.

Only thing about the case that gives me anxiety is the airflow. Im not the most knowledgeable person but if that ryzen 7 feels claustrophobic all cramped up in that little space it might affect performance. Do you think it will heat up too much too quickly? I wouldn't be overclocking it in this build but just afraid the airflow might not be good enough for my cpu. Thoughts? Thanks again for your time!

Lol forgot the link: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Junaid96/saved/yPQHhM

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Really impressed with how cheap this is! I can't seem to understand if the case features a glass panel or not. I don't mind the ryzen but i'm not really sure if I want to have a Radeon GPU over an Nvidia one. Is there a similar alternative (around $200)? Also, is there room to install some ssd storage? Wouldn't mind 500gb of it. Last thing, the motherboard seems to have only 2 ram slots. Should i just get a single 16gb ram stick and eventually buy another one in the near future to get to my 32gb goal? Or should i change motherboard? Overall i have to say that while i love the specs for the price. Wouldn't mind get to a $1000 mark by getting these changes i mentioned above. Thanks a lot for the support!

Still can't get along with that GPU... I built over your list trying to achieve what i think will work: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Junaid96/saved/yPQHhM What do you think of this one? One main thing im kinda afraid of is the airflow and temperature of the cpu in that little space. Thanks again!