PCPartPicker

• Register

Building a 2019 High-End Gaming/Vid Encoding PC! (HELP NEEDED)

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

beowhulf 1 month ago

Hello everyone,

It has been few years since I built my last PC so i have not been particularly up to date with latest HW news but i think i am somewhat PC literate and know a thing or two, however, i decided that for 2019 i would like to finally build a PC without any constraints or limitations. I would like to build it from scratch so I need suggestions for everything except GPU that i am taking from my older PC onto a new one.

Things to note :

• Even though i dont have a budget set and i dont mind paying a bit more where its worth it i would not want to go for extremely overpriced piece of HW for a slight 1 to 5% boost in performance so lets keep it rational.

• I am bringing RTX 2080 from my old PC so no GPU is required

• Main purpose will be FullHD Gaming (not UHD or 4k, i prefer 1080p @ 144hz w/ GSYNC) + a bit of Video rendering (animations, editting, streaming)- I am running a triple monitor set up

• I would like to try water cooling for the first time so watercooler + case that supports it

• I am an intel/nvidia kind of guy so please no Ryzen suggestions

This is my idea and things i have decided on so far based on your suggestions and my research, thank you everyone who has the time to help me out, it means a lot!!!

I will constantly update this post until the final build is decided upon

The plan is to buy it in march 2019

MB : MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER - Intel Z39

ASRock Z390 TAICHI - Intel Z390

????????????????????????????????

CPU : i9-9900K

COOLER: Still not decided, most likely Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

GPU : MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO 8G, 8GB GDDR6

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

PSU : Probably Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

CASE : Still not decided, something with a LOT of space, people recommend Corsair - SPEC-OMEGA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case is that enough?

HDD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 2,5" - 1TB - for games and data, and i am thining of Samsung SSD 970 EVO, M.2 - 1TB for OS and games

UPDATE: I have filled in some information to the build list, still not decided about some stuff, after some research i am thinking of M2 drive for OS and games and SSD for data , would that M2 be compatible with that MOBO?

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

I am an intel/nvidia kind of guy so please no Ryzen suggestions

Picking parts by brand never does you any favors. Choose by performance instead.

CASE : I am thinking of Thermaltake The Tower 900,would it work with watercoolers and the size of my GPU? Any other recommendations?

That cases requires you to do a custom loop and to keep it looking good a dual loop one at that. You can't slap in a AIO.

Probably 2x16GB 3200mhz CL14/CL16 , which manufacturer and model?

You already has speed and cas down. Besides the other part of the timings (assuming you aren't going Ryzen then for high speed RAM i.e 3600mhz or higher because QVL and bdie will matter then) you pretty much got it covered with speed and cas. Brand really isn't important outside of what I mentioned above and that is OEM not manufacturer. There is looks too.

The plan is to buy it in march 2019

If you are buying in march I definitely wouldn't put Ryzen off of the table since 3rd gen may come out by then.

What software do you plan on using for video editing?

beowhulf submitter 1 point 1 month ago

thank you vagabond for your input, ive always had intel and nvidia, would ryzen go well with nvidia gpu that i have ? probably silly question but i presume AMD hw communicates better together than mix of the two.

Thanks for the clarification with the case, i really like it but i would stick to AIO so i need to look elsewhere.

The SW i use outside of FullHD gaming at 144hz is Sony Vegas, OBS studio, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I would actually go Skylake-X since your workload is pretty varied. It won't be the best in stuff like photoshop or gaming but it still be close to something such as a i9 9900K and when it can stretch its legs they are going to really stretch if you go 12+ cores.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-7940X 3.1 GHz 14-Core Processor $1108.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler $180.02 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - X299 Taichi XE ATX LGA2066 Motherboard $311.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $249.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $134.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $159.87 @ OutletPC
Case Thermaltake - View 71 TG ATX Full Tower Case $154.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Deepcool - RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120mm Fans $36.04 @ Newegg
Case Fan Deepcool - RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120mm Fans $36.04 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2472.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-15 16:06 EST-0500

Went with the 7940X. Honestly it wouldn't hurt to look around on Ebay for a used Skylake-X CPU, you could save money/get a better one. Threadripper only shines in specific usages and honestly wouldn't be good for your needs.

Got a ton of HDD storage since it seems like you are going to be making a lot of content. You could use part/all of the SSD and some/all of the HDD to make a hybrid drive with fuzedrive if that interests you although it does create two failure points instead of just one.

Went with a massive and interesting looking case. You can mounting the AIO on the top, side, or front. Added 6 RGB fans since this case is begging for it.

[comment deleted]

I didn't reply to you. I replied to the post.

[comment deleted]

You aren't OP, I didn't reply to you. Its a top level comment.

[comment deleted]

???

BudgetBuildCenter 1 point 1 month ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BudgetBuildCenter/saved/bv3YTW I recommend these parts for your needs! Also you should read vagabond's info it would help you.

wow, thats a solid list, looks exactly how i thought it should, but can i ask you, why going for 4x8 GB ram instead of 2x16? what would be the performance difference?

Also i see you put in some extra fans and RGB kit, i am not "manual work savvy" :D Would that come in prebuilt so i just connect t he cables to MB/PSU or do I need to do any manual work on the case? I would certainly prefer the first option

4 8 gbs give you quad channel memory support and it looks better with all the slots filled, and u need those fans for you rad and so u have 6 fans.

You would to need to do alot of cable management such as, thefan cables and getting those hid out of the way, and with the psu cables you would need to get those tidy up in the right place (if you know what i mean)

But if you need help with where to put the cables in general ill show you on a photo.

BudgetBuildCenter 2 points 1 month ago

Also you dont have to get the rbg kit it just makes it look noice so :p

BudgetBuildCenter 2 points 1 month ago

The rbg stips go on a controller and the controler connecte to the motherboard (so you can control it) and the other goes into the power in a sata port cable connected to the psu. I have one if i can get your tag on discord i can show you a pic of how it works.

Crofter 5 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Just a correction, the intel LGA 1151 socket only supports dual channel ram configurations, you either populate one or two slots in each channel. For quad channel support you need a socket with higher pinout such as TR4 or LGA 2066. You will see no performance difference if you populate each channel with 1 or 2 sticks.

Regarding fans, depending on how many fans you install then the number of RGB and fan headers the board has, or whether the case or fan pack has controllers, you may need to invest in splitter cables to get everything running.

Oops i forgot that! Thanks for the reminder!

aud10_fr3ak 1 point 1 month ago

great list mate! and you saved me 200 USD compared to the list of BBC, will definitely think about it!

Thats a great list! But he needs more fans.

I have updated the post, could you please take a look? Many thanks for all the replies you guys are great!

Also, i am unsure of the motherboard and case, the case says MID tower, wouldnt BIG tower be better overall for possible future additions etc? Also keep in mind that my GPU is massive, it barely fits in my NZXT phantom right now

The Motherboard i have no idea which one to pick, it needs to have easily accessible M.2 slot for SSD but also fully utilize the performance, the price difference in those is huge and i cannot justify it with my knowledge, the MEG GODlike costs 3 times of what is in the list right now, but seems like it delivers the same performance more or less?

Based on your listed requirements and tasks as well as part preferences I have come up with the following build.

For information, you mention the M.2 SSD form factor, this can be split into two schools, M.2 SATA and M.2 NVME. The SATA version operate at the same speeds as the comparable 2.5" SSD's, whilst the NVME are significantly faster. So the benefit here with the M.2 SATA is purely descreteness, no cables. Also, unless you are performing high throughput read/write tasks e.g. utilising an SSD as a scratch drive for project workloads, then you will see no significant performance advantage or value of NVME over a SATA M.2 drive. Hence, unless you are considering a scratch drive, I added a slightly faster M.2 SATA 1tb SSD for OS and games and slightly slower price conscious 2tb M.2 SATA SSD for backup. Place the 2tb under the motherboard shroud to hide away label and the black 1tb drive will sit nicely beside/behind the GPU.

The motherboard I chose has decent reviews and claimed a very decent all-rounder, and if you want to overclock the board has demonstrated having the legs to beat higher end costlier boards.

Cooling wise I have gone for the 280mm cooler, since if you do want to overclock the i9 9900k it can get hot quickly, so you have more cooling headroom with the larger radiator, and a slight drop in fan noise using 140mm rather than 120mm fans. I also added two matching fans for the case to compliment the build. They are pricey so you can take it or leave them for cheaper alternatives or stick with the cases stock fans.

Case wise, if you are happy to stick with aio water coolers, the Pro M has very decent ventilation (front mesh grill) and very decent build quality (and personally looks). It is also decent for cable management and decent size to build in.

Ram wise, you will not see a significant difference between 3000 and above gaming (or software) wise, so to save ~$75 I went with the RGB 3000mhz kit. You never know you might get a decent overclock via the UEFI/bios anyhow. Others have placed in 32gb, this amount of ram depends on your non gaming workloads, 16gb is ample for gaming and simultaneous streaming. But if you need if for editting or heavy multitasking 32gb might be the way to go.

For the PSU it is really a toss up between the Corsair RMx units and EVGA G2/G3 units, Seasonic focus plus gold units have had some issues and I am not clear on whether these are resolved. So I went for cheapest, since the G3 750 and 850w are the same price I went with the 850w.

Finally added windows 10 retail addition. This is a personal (not motherboard locked) license if you want flexibility to carry to future systems. It is a DVD copy, but if you have a memory stick this is no issue, download the latest win 10 image from Microsoft into a stick and enter the license code off the box when prompted.

Anyway have a look and think. Happy to help, or others may well do if I am offline, if you have any questions.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $528.90 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair - H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $165.39 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $209.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $134.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $231.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card $0.00
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $108.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $95.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit $119.99 @ Dell
Case Fan Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm Fan $39.30 @ Newegg
Case Fan Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm Fan $39.30 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1824.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-15 08:32 EST-0500

Thank you Crofter for the thorough response and part list. My bad with the m2 drive i meant the NVME for OS and few games and then normal SSD for data. I will work with some uncompressed .avi large files so installing/copying and read/write speed would probably matter. so i would probably switch that second m2 for normal SSD because i am from Czech republic and the prices of those are almost double of what you guys posted from newegg/amazon so i think thats a place where to save, instead of RAM etc. also OS i will get locally here for half the price.

I am still not sure about the MB and case though, checking the benchmarks and reviews right now, it appears that your suggested MB delivers a great performance but most people recommend ASRock Z390 TAICHI - Intel Z390 as the best one for this particular CPU , however, i have zero experience with ASRock so i cannot tell.

Well i found those 2 cases that seem great and support the top water cooling with same diameters

1. CoolerMaster MasterCase H500P

2. NZXT H700i

The AsRock taichi is AsRocks top tier board and typically gives pricier alternatives a run for their money with power delivery overhead and features. Your motherboard selection should be based on what CPU you are using and what you intend to do with it, e.g. extreme overclocking, then what features you need, e.g. usb ports, thunderbolt, Lan socket's and speed, front panel connectors, sound chip, m.2 slots, GPU slots, fan headers, RGB support etc. Then reviews and also aftermarket support. You can easily spend a lot of money on a high power delivery, feature rich motherboard and not need half of what it supplies which makes other well reviewed lower tier boards a better pick.

Case wise, are there looks or features you are after? I can then suggest some options.

Ok, you pointed me in good direction mate, so as far as MB, i dont intend to OC that much, the i9 itself should last a while for my needs of rendering and gaming, i just need a high quality MB with M.2 slots,

THe case is a bit harder, i dont mind it bigger i have space for it, i like glass on the side so you can see through, some RGB on the front, it should fit in the watercooler on the top that we will pick, most likely what you sugested already i believe thats 2x280mm and i am unsure of vertical GPU if its good or not, i dont mind probably, the looks should be dark metallic or black, the white gets dirty easily and decent airflow i dont plan on SLI or extreme heat, i live in a rather cold area so that should not play a major part. Visually I like those styles: CoolerMaster MasterCase H500P, NZXT H700i, Corsair Obsidian, Thermaltake View 71, COolermaster cosmos, Corsair Crystal Series

Of those cases listed the coolermaster h500p has cooling capacity well beyond that the others offer, particularly as many have closed fronts (which not only hamper ventilation but also can get fans spinning faster and louder as they try their best to keep temps in check) calling out the Corsair crystal series and nzxt cases here. There is also space for the 280mm rad to the top as you desire.

[comment deleted]
BudgetBuildCenter 0 points 1 month ago

Do you already have the monitors?

Hello, i got all accesories and monitors etc, i just need the PC without thje GPU which i already have, so with all the parts i am welcoming any advice

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
VapidDarkness 2 points 1 month ago

uh.... why do you keep adding extra comments?

[comment deleted]

Corsair has tons of 850W PSU's, not all are equal and brand is largely meaningless when it comes to PSU's. You generally shouldn't ever pick PSU's brand or really any part for that matter.

[comment deleted]

But we don't know what you mean...

[comment deleted]
vagabond139 5 Builds 3 points 1 month ago

This won't turn on.You forgot a PSU.

Traditional hybrid drives really don't make that much sense to buy anymore. You get only 8GB of SSD space which is pretty limited and nothing you can not expand upon it without doing some serious work. Instead of buying a hybrid drive you could buy fuzedrive for $40 and use a HDD along with any SSD to make a hybrid drive up to a massive 256GB of SSD cache. If you go Ryzen (although it wouldn't work as good for a high FPS goal) and buy a 400 series board you get storemi for free which is basically the same thing as the $40 fuzedrive. It might cost a bit more at the start but you will be getting up upwards of 32 times the SSD cache space.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

You technically didn't recommend a HDD and he actually wanted a advice on storage. You recommended a hybrid drive which is fine(in the sense that its not what OP asked for) and what the OP wants or requests is not always the best option for them and they are on here requesting help for a reason. If you can give them a better option then you can do so. A perfect example would be the Tower 900 which he was thinking about but it the case requires a custom loop(and really a dual loop on top of it) that cools the CPU and GPU which likely isn't what he actually wants.

you are so helpful man thanks for all the input you nailed it, i wanted the 900 for visuals and extra space, i dont like the HW all stuck next to each other with no space but should that require extra work for watercooling i am going away from that option. Too bad i cant read all the comments, since theres like 50 of them deleted, i guess there was a troll overnight while i slept . wasnt there? :D

Too bad i cant read all the comments, since theres like 50 of them deleted, i guess there was a troll overnight while i slept . wasnt there? :D

It was actually BudgetBuildCenter comments that got deleted. Not sure why BudgetBuildCenter deleted them.

[comment deleted]
vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

... He asked for help with a build. He sent me a private message to help him with a list.

Ok?

I dont get how you are so “smart” with computers, because you built 2 amd computers when you say amd has bad performance. I dont care how long ago you build them.

1.) I never said I was so smart with computers.

2.) I never ever said AMD has bad performance because that is not remotely true because you can't go around judging a entire brand like that.

3.) I never mentioned how long ago I built them and actually am using a Ryzen build right now that I haven't uploaded yet since I am in the process of upgrading it aesthetic wise.

Stop telling them info that they already know.

How do they already know this information when they are on here asking for advice?

I’ve already reported you 3 times.

Congrats on the false reports. You can't go around reporting people just becasue you are angry with them. Its not some weapon you can indiscriminately use.

ThoughtA staff 1 point 1 month ago

You seem to be confusing private messages with comment replies. Both will show up in your inbox (https://pcpartpicker.com/user_r/messages/), but private messages will be marked as a private message, while comments will not.

[comment deleted]
vagabond139 5 Builds 4 points 1 month ago

In the future please condense all of your comments into one since it clutters the thread up a lot. You have 6 comments within the span of a hour that could have all been a single comment. You can edit a comment as long as its less than a hour old by clicking the edit button on it.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

The size of the rad (240mm vs. 360) does not determine how good they perform. AIO's are not made equal.

[comment deleted]

If you already know that performance can vary between them along with pricing and other features then why ask what OP wants when OP might not know the difference?

happy now?

What are you talking about?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

haha i know it sounds a bit far fetched, the pc has i7 4970k, 16gb ddr3 etc, so upgrading to rtx 2080 was enough to play any game at max settings but CPU is bottlenecking it now and if i want new CPU i need new MB and with that a DDR4 instead of DDR3 so hence my new custom build from the scratch :)

[comment deleted]