• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Rhyagelle 1 month ago

Hello,

I'm wanting to upgrade my old R9 card and I was looking at the RTX 2070 generation, but when they first came out there were mass amounts of reports of DOA and defects within a week or a month. Is that still a problem? Is it only really a problem for a certain brand? If so, which brand should I be avoiding and which should I look toward? I thought EVGA and MSI, but I don't know what to make of the RTX line. The older reviews are astoundingly negative.

Oh yea, I have a budget of $500-550

Thanks for reading! :)

Comments Sorted by:

Dreadvolt 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

No issues with my EVGA XC Gaming Ultra. Got it on Boxing Day for $130 off at $689 (CDN). Drop about 30-33% if you're buying in USD.

Rhyagelle submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Hey, thanks for the reply! :)

Wow, so no drops in OC potential? Higher temps? Noise? Tearing? That's great, a couple months beats the reviews I've read for sure which were a few days or just two weeks.

Dreadvolt 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

Temps: Can barely get this thing to break 65C.

OC: With Precision X1 I was able to OC my Gaming XC Ultra a bit without issue. Headroom is limited to power, which seems to be the case with all RTX cards I believe.

Noise: Sure the fans make noise when they ramp up really high, but as I said, temps are pretty low, so fans don't have to work too hard.

Tearing: Not really, some minor artifacting in BFV occasionally but not consistently.

RTX: There was one map where I noticed RTX affecting performance in BFV (can't remember the name of it offhand). Disabling RTX and the game is still beautiful and runs super smooth.